Office 2016 Licensing Service Not Available

Anonymous
2015-09-24T17:40:19+00:00

Since upgrade my Office 2013 software to Office 2106, I am seeing this error in the Windows 10 Event Log

Event 0, Office 2016 Licensing Service

The description for Event ID 0 from source Office 2016 Licensing Service cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Subscription licensing service failed: -1073418220

  • <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  • <System>

  <Provider Name="Office 2016 Licensing Service" />

  <EventID Qualifiers="0">0</EventID>

  <Level>2</Level>

  <Task>0</Task>

  <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-09-24T04:12:50.000000000Z" />

  <EventRecordID>10572</EventRecordID>

  <Channel>Application</Channel>

  <Computer>TestSystem</Computer>

  <Security />

  </System>

  • <EventData>

  <Data>Subscription licensing service failed: -1073418220</Data>

  </EventData>

  </Event>

This error normally occurs daily, generated by Microsoft installed Task Scheduler task 'Office Subscription Maintenance' being run.  I've also manually run this task at different times of the day in case the problem is an overloaded license server.  No luck, always fails

Is this something additional I need to accomplish to "reset" something on my computer so it goes to the correct server to validate my license?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-01-21T18:04:11+00:00

    Hi everybody,

    My logfiles shows the same error and I didn't choose for Online Repair, because I'm curious: I choose for Fast Recovery / Local Repair and it worked! The error is gone.

    Now I'm ready for the next error in TaskScheduler

    Greetz, Ad

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-12-31T04:20:16+00:00

    Couldn't agree with you more.

    I see it so much on this site also and no one comes up with a definitive answer.

    It's just "try this" then you get a big list of things to "try".

    Such a waste of everyone's time as well as theirs.

    Not to mention very unprofessional suggesting people "try" certain things to fix their broken out of the box software.

    I think they call it bad coding.

    Perhaps M$ can come up with a similar tool for Windows such as the SBS Alerts Clean up tool for SBS 2011.

    It has so many apparently "none service affecting" or "safe to ignore" bugs and error messages they created a tool where you add the error ID number and it stops it from appearing in event viewer.

    Lol just sweep it under the carpet is another term you can use.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-12-16T06:13:36+00:00

    Also having this issue and looking for an update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-12-09T14:22:39+00:00

    Also having this issue and looking for an update.

    Vardhaman S or other Microsoft Support Engineer, can you please provide a status for this issue reported by many people now?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-10-02T19:31:59+00:00

    So,

    No reply from Microsoft?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments