Can I run MS Front Page 2003 on Windows 10 (like I currently do with windows 7 and it's "xp package."

Anonymous
2015-08-11T21:46:18+00:00

They changed the title of my original post so I thought I'd try it again: I Know that my web sites will work on windows 10 but:

I run a website I started in 1996, 385 pages and built with old school html and (when it came out) MS Front Page. I've modified many pages of these old pages to be w3c compliant using good old html. It is super hot in the search engines and works excellent in all browsers and on all mobile devices. Front Page 2003 is like putting on a comfortable pair of shoes. Yes, I've tried Dream Weaver and all the other "options" but it doesn't do a very good job with the original code, in fact some of the modifications and programs I have tried have been a disaster. SO I'm currently running windows 7 with the xp package to support Microsoft Front Page Version 2003. My server guys have no issues with the MS Front Page Extensions and it is very fast and stable. What do you think the chances are of running MS Front Page 2003 on Windows 10? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Original Title: FrontPage 2003

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-08-14T14:05:39+00:00

Though MS does indeed say that FP is not compatible (MS says that versions of Office older that Office 2007 are incompatible with Win10.) , that does not mean that it will not install and run.  You might be happily surprised.  In my experience MS tends to discourage the use of older programs even if they will run.

Although FrontPage was not evaluated, Andre Da Costa found that core programs of Office such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access and Publisher back through Office 2000 work just fine on Windows 10.

Reference: A look at running older versions of Microsoft Office on Windows 10: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-win_upgrade/a-look-at-running-older-versions-of-microsoft/6faf72ea-254a-4c8e-9982-2c36cdb1936c

With that said if you are dependent upon FPSE then you might start looking for an alternative to FP. MS quit support of the server extensions many years ago and the number of web hosts that offer them are becoming few and far between. Eventually you should plan on them not being available and should start looking to migrate your sites to another program. Better now before it is too late.

DavidF

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-08-11T14:26:49+00:00

    Thanks for letting us know. I've never tried the insert image option (I copy and paste the image into the page). I'll have to try it. Does your insert hyperlink function not work? I use mine a lot and I don't seem to have issues with it, same with save as. What does it do when you try these?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-08-11T11:41:12+00:00

    Thanks.... I finally got FrontPage to open the website using your method... Thanks... Most of it works normally, except for doing the "save as", "insert image" or "create hyperlink".... I have not figured out how to get these three features to work yet... So, I am back to working on Windows 8 until I can get these resolved.... Any input would be greatly appreciated..

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-08-08T15:17:14+00:00

    Hi pjs-mwa,

    Here is a clip from my earlier post (easy to miss - December 18th 2015). Still working fine for me.

    I loaded the program from the orginal FP 2003 CD. I selected the "standard" setup, gave it about 15 minutes and it was a flawless load (it did seem to snag about 99% of the way thru but it finally finished). No runs, no hits no errors. You have browser options in MS 10. The default is MS Edge, glide your  cursor over the top and add the tool bar. Hit file, open with Microsoft Front Page, add your user ID and password and you're good to go. I opened my entire site - all 369 pages were there along with 1,000's of photos (some going back to 1996). Everything was there. Nothing wonky - Take out a few odds and ends in the code and it passes w3c without a hitch. Granted my pages do not use a lot of the optional templates and odds and ends that were built into FP but for me it worked - and it worked very well.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-08-08T14:59:28+00:00

    BillCNTSA, thanks so much for letting us know. Oddly enough some of my employees versions of MS Office 2010 didn't work with Windows 10 at first. Others had no problem what so ever (worked right off the get go). Mysteriously (like your FP) they all started working after about 3 weeks (I have no idea why).

    How is FP working for you - everything good still?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments