Can I run MS Front Page 2003 on Windows 10 (like I currently do with windows 7 and it's "xp package."

Anonymous
2015-08-11T21:46:18+00:00

They changed the title of my original post so I thought I'd try it again: I Know that my web sites will work on windows 10 but:

I run a website I started in 1996, 385 pages and built with old school html and (when it came out) MS Front Page. I've modified many pages of these old pages to be w3c compliant using good old html. It is super hot in the search engines and works excellent in all browsers and on all mobile devices. Front Page 2003 is like putting on a comfortable pair of shoes. Yes, I've tried Dream Weaver and all the other "options" but it doesn't do a very good job with the original code, in fact some of the modifications and programs I have tried have been a disaster. SO I'm currently running windows 7 with the xp package to support Microsoft Front Page Version 2003. My server guys have no issues with the MS Front Page Extensions and it is very fast and stable. What do you think the chances are of running MS Front Page 2003 on Windows 10? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Original Title: FrontPage 2003

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-08-14T14:05:39+00:00

Though MS does indeed say that FP is not compatible (MS says that versions of Office older that Office 2007 are incompatible with Win10.) , that does not mean that it will not install and run.  You might be happily surprised.  In my experience MS tends to discourage the use of older programs even if they will run.

Although FrontPage was not evaluated, Andre Da Costa found that core programs of Office such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access and Publisher back through Office 2000 work just fine on Windows 10.

Reference: A look at running older versions of Microsoft Office on Windows 10: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-win_upgrade/a-look-at-running-older-versions-of-microsoft/6faf72ea-254a-4c8e-9982-2c36cdb1936c

With that said if you are dependent upon FPSE then you might start looking for an alternative to FP. MS quit support of the server extensions many years ago and the number of web hosts that offer them are becoming few and far between. Eventually you should plan on them not being available and should start looking to migrate your sites to another program. Better now before it is too late.

DavidF

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-06-22T15:53:22+00:00

    Bill can you go to your web site and hit File> file open in MS front page? Does it not give you this option now?

    Here is what I did in December:  I selected the "standard" setup (in the front page software options), gave it about 15 minutes and it was a flawless load (although at the end of it (about 99%) it was VERY slow - I didn't think it would complete the setup but it finally did).  You have browser options in MS 10. The default (in mine) was MS Edge, glide your  cursor over the top and add the tool bar. Hit file, open with Microsoft Front Page, add your user ID and password and (it opened the entire site just fine).

    I would love to find out why it worked so well for me but is giving you fits. I work my site everyday but still haven't migrated to using my new PC with windows 10 on it out of caution (waiting to see how it works out for everyone).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-06-21T09:25:31+00:00

    Hi, thanks for responding.

    I wish I could.  The remote site does not display at all.  That's when I get the connection error, when FP is trying to connect to it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-06-20T17:24:53+00:00

    Hi Bill,

    Have you tried opening the site so you can see all the files, going to insert and adding them that way?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-06-20T16:11:56+00:00

    I bought a new laptop recently with Windows 10 pre-installed.  I migrated my FrontPage website source from my previous Win7 laptop (where it had been previously migrated from an XP one), installed FrontPage 2003 from the CD and off it went.  No problem. I can update pages with no difficulty. In fact, perhaps naively, I never even considered that it wouldn't work.

    I have a fairly static site and don't update it very often, but the other day I had to.  I made a change to an existing page, right-clicked on it in Folder view and selected 'Publish selected files'.  I gave it the FTP address, the site name and the password and hit the Go button.  The 'Confirm copy' box came up as usual but it sat there for about a minute and then disappeared.  The page has not been updated on the remote server. No error message.

    It will not connect to the remote site at all.  On selecting 'Remote Web site' the Status pane says 'Listing subsites in ftp://..../public_html' and it stays that way for about a minute then gives the error '425 Could not open data connection to port 40664. Connection timed our.'

    On retrying, the port number changes but the message is the same. I can connect to the site with a standalone FTP product so the site itself is ok, but that is the only way I can update my site now.  I'd rather use FP. I don't use FP Extensions.

    Now, I have no idea whether this has anything to do with Windows 10 or not, but it does seem a bit coincidental - it worked fine on my WIn7 machine.  I have tried setting FP to use compatibility mode for both Windows 7 and XP but nothing changes.

    If anyone has any bright ideas, I'm all ears.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments