Microsoft office Click-to-run process running with high CPU and memory

Anonymous
2015-01-04T09:11:11+00:00

HI There,

I have a HP pavilion laptop running windows 8.1 and office 2013.

Things have been fine from Feb to until Nov this year, after which point I noticed the mouse cursor showing the busy revolving circle all the time, performance was reduced and the computer sounded like it was constantly working.

I traced the problem to the Microsoft office Click-to-run process running with high CPU (5+%) and memory (50+mb). If I restarted the click-to-run service the use of computer resources dropped to minimal and the problems described in the first paragraph disappeared.

Unfortunately as time has gone on an error occurs when trying to stop the click-to-run process so the above restart fix does not work and the longer the laptop is on the worse the performance gets.

I have reinstalled office twice, I hace clicked the office repair option and searched the web for a solution all to no avail.

Please can somebody help find a solution as it is driving me mad and making my new laptop unusable. BTW my partner has a similar laptop setup with no issues.

Kind Regards

Bob.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-01-20T15:29:20+00:00

Hi There,

I solve my problem.

Symptoms:

  • Process Office 15 click-to-run running constantly 20% CPU
  • Process MSOSYNC (document cache) 0% CPU and still restarting (on bacground)

The main problem is Document cache, because process MSOSYNC is not loaded and any orange tray icon (with arrow) as Office document cache in task bar is not visible.

How to solve this problem:

  1. disable service click-to-run (in services - set disabled)
  2. restart computer (click-to-run will be not loaded)
  3. open C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\Spw and delete all files
  4. open C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\15.0\OfficeFileCache and delete all files
  5. enable service click-to-run (set automatic)
  6. restart computer

The problem is solved - for me.

Was this answer helpful?

900+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-08-21T11:20:32+00:00

    Thanks - worked for me.  Was getting 95% CPU after installation of Win 10 Insider Build 10525 and Office Preview 2016 under my 365 subscription.

    Latest Office 2016 Application version is 16.0.4229.1017.   In Win 10 "Charms" is gone but just find Programs and Features via search/Cortana.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-05-22T07:19:26+00:00

    Since today I do have the same problem. Very annoying, since I have to work the whole day on my computer. Please let me know what solution there is.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-04-28T16:51:07+00:00

    Hi,

    Thank you for posting on Microsoft Office Community.

    As you have tried most of the troubleshooting steps, I request you to reboot the computer in clean boot and check how it works.

    Refer to the article on how to do Clean Boot:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 

    Note: After you have finished troubleshooting in clean boot, ensure you restart the Computer in normal mode.

    For further queries, reply and we will be happy to assist.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-01-20T13:25:15+00:00

    Hi There,

    I have same problem (DELL Venue 11 PRO, Win 8.1 pro, 4GB ram, 128GB SSD).

    Microsoft office Click-to-run process running with high CPU ( constantly 20%) with process Local security authority (+-10%).

    No error or warning (about office) in Windows Event viewer.

    In other older PC (SONY Vaio, Win 8.1 Pro) Office 365 running normal.

    /Patrick/

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments