Repeat header row at the top of each page does not work as expected...

Anonymous
2013-10-27T14:55:55+00:00

I have tried to use the table properties option checkbox reading Repeat as header row at the top of each page, however, the header row just does not appear at the top of each page.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Suzanne S Barnhill 279.4K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2013-10-27T15:23:13+00:00

To be a repeating header row, the row must be the first row of the table (multiple rows can be selected, but they must include the first and be contiguous. (Make sure, however, that you don't have the entire table selected when you designate a row as the header row.)

In addition, the table must have text wrapping set to None (Tabletab of Table Properties).

If the table contains a manual page break, the header will not repeat. You can, however, insert a page break without breaking the table by formatting a row as "Page break before" (on the Line and Page Breaks tab of the Paragraph dialog).

Note that this applies only to tables. If you want a page header, you need to add a header to the page itself.

Was this answer helpful?

400+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-05-07T03:55:46+00:00

    If Microsoft thought that table should have "None" text wrapping to show the header.. So why is the "BUTTON" activated? Turn it "off" unless text wrapping is set to "None".

    BTW. 80% of the Word's problems are because of this default "Around" text wrapping!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-03-28T02:51:10+00:00

    Jon,

    Nobody is going to report this as a bug unless it can be verifiably reproduced. I sincerely hope that you don't take this wrong, but saying you "think" you tried something versus "I did try that" doesn't cut it.

    If you can fully explain and show examples of what you are doing and how the software is not functioning properly so that others can reproduce the same issue... then I am certain a bug report will be submitted to the development team at Microsoft.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-03-25T19:47:59+00:00

    I think that I did try this combination a few times, unsuccessfully, not sure if someone can replicate it for reporting a bug, or whether I am still doing something "wrong".

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-10-27T15:29:59+00:00

    Exactly, that is what happened, this happens to be a confidential document so I cannot share it as yet.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments