My Word randomly capitalizes the letter "i" at the start of words, how do I get it to stop

Anonymous
2013-07-11T17:21:59+00:00

About 2/3 of the time, my Microsoft Word autocapitalizes the letter i in front of words, much like it would for the word "I"; so a sentence might read "I was walking In the park, where I met my friend John Inside the cafe", capitalizing In and Inside.  I can go back and correct it and it doesn't recapitalize but it's really annoying, and I can't figure out how to disable it.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

55 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2018-07-31T22:11:16+00:00

    Except it only happens in Word. Not in the browser, and not in any other app - so it's not the iPad doing it. Also, this issue has been experienced by people across all sorts of devices - only in Word. So it's absolutely Word that is doing it.

    For what it's worth, when I changed the font, Word started behaving normally again.

    I apologize: for some reason, I thought you said that you wanted to convert "i" to "I."

    Which AutoCorrect options, if any, are available in Word when you run it on an iPad?

    In Word for Windows (which this thread was originally about), AutoCorrect and AutoFormat As You Type can be configured in the AutoCorrect dialog box (File | Options | Proofing | AutoCorrect Options).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2018-07-31T07:44:56+00:00

    Autocorrection in your browser (which should actually be called predictive text) is a feature of the browser or the operating system. It is not related to Microsoft Word.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2018-06-05T14:36:06+00:00

    Which operating system are you running on the tablet?

    Do you have an Office subscription or just some basic version of Office with limited functionality?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-06-05T13:49:34+00:00

    Anyone know a solution for this on the mobile app for a tablet? I can't find a custom dictionary or any other auto-correct settings to adjust in the app, and yet somehow I've developed this exact same issue.

    It only works on first reference, i.e. if I type "in" it will automatically capitalize the i to "I" before I've even typed the n, and I will end up with "In." However, if I backspace to delete the auto-error and retype it, it often remains lower-case "in." No idea why this is happening or how it got started.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more