My Word randomly capitalizes the letter "i" at the start of words, how do I get it to stop

Anonymous
2013-07-11T17:21:59+00:00

About 2/3 of the time, my Microsoft Word autocapitalizes the letter i in front of words, much like it would for the word "I"; so a sentence might read "I was walking In the park, where I met my friend John Inside the cafe", capitalizing In and Inside.  I can go back and correct it and it doesn't recapitalize but it's really annoying, and I can't figure out how to disable it.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

55 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-11-26T17:26:06+00:00

    If anyone is still having this problem, here's the solution:

    • Go to File>Options>Proofing
    • Select AutoCorrect Options
    • Select the AutoCorrect tab
    • In the "Replace text as you type" section :
      • Scroll down in the list and you will find that it set to default all i's at the beginning of a word to be replaced with an "I"

    I'd rather have to remember to capitalize my own I's than to have to un-capitalize every word that begins with an i....

    PS.  I tried to replace it with the option to replace a small i and a space with a capital I and a space, but it won't let me add that.  Microsoft...please fix this???

    Was this answer helpful?

    1100+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-11-19T21:19:09+00:00

    Did you not read the very clear explanation offered?

    Typing "I was walking In the park, where I met my friend John Inside the cafe" has nothing to do with pressing the Enter key and ending a line.

    I have the same issue. It's extremely annoying.

    Was this answer helpful?

    400+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-11-27T05:50:38+00:00

    No way!

    Brand new computer running Word 2016 for the first time (prior to this computer I was running Word 2010 and did not have the problem). 

    I had to search the internet to even find where the AutoCorrect settings were!

    The "i" setting WAS a default (and a dumb one...)

    Was this answer helpful?

    200+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-02-23T14:36:18+00:00

    I was also very frustrated with this bug and tried most of the suggestions on this page without success.

    The problem is not global, but document specific, in some cases paragraph specific! Some paragraphs have the problem some don't. It appeared for me in docs that had been edited by another user on a Mac, resulting in a change to some of the fonts (don't ask me why!)

    The solution (at least for me) turned out to be simple. Select all the text in the document and change the font to a standard Word font. (If you have many fonts in the doc by design, you may have to do this paragraph by paragraph.)

    Problem gone!

    Was this answer helpful?

    100+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-07-11T22:26:46+00:00

    No, they're at random points in sentences.  I did check my Autocorrect, but it thinks it only capitalizes the letter i in contexts like I, I'll, I'd, etc, and not contexts unrelated to the word "I".

    Was this answer helpful?

    80+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments