Pictures not showing in Word 2013, no problem with same file in word 2010

Anonymous
2014-12-19T21:17:04+00:00

I have a large word file with numerous pictures inserted as TIFF files. In Word 2010, the pictures are all visible on screen and when I print them. However, when opening the same file (saved as docx or doc - I've tried both) in Word 2013 not all pictures are visible and they don't convert to pdf or print out either. It varies between which ones are and which aren't so I don't think its a problem with the pictures themselves. The pictures come up as either blank white boxes or with a little red cross and the statement 'error picture cannot be displayed'.

All files are less than half a page and therefore shouldn't be affected by the error involving multipage TIFF files that I've seen mentioned.

I've formatted them as 'tight', however I've tried the other options and this doesn't appear to change anything. 

I've also been through the advanced settings options and deselected 'show pictures as placeholders'.

I'm not sure what else to do - I've tried playing around with all sorts including changing privacy options within the trust center. Any advice would be very much appreciated - I wish I'd just stuck with Word 2010!

Many thanks

Hannah

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2014-12-19T21:51:09+00:00

    If you toggle the display of field codes by using Alt+F9, what do you see, particularly in the boxes with the little red cross and the error message?

    If you want to send me a copy of the document, I will take a look at the issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    100+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2014-12-19T23:42:42+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-02-06T19:18:18+00:00

    Hi, 

    this can be easily solved.  Go to Options>Advanced>under (Show document content), uncheck the box of (Show pictures placeholders), and that's that!

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-02-14T08:47:47+00:00

    Maybe too late, but I had the same problem.  I had inserted a large 6600x5100 pixel black and white TIF image into a document and initially it was fine, but then all the images disappeared.  So after reading through this forum I tried right clicking on the TIF image, selecting format image, and adjusted the brightness and contrast, and suddenly the image was visible, after adjusting the brightness and contrast back to 0%, I found all the images were visible again.

    I was able to reproduce the problem by deleting the TIF and reinserting it either as a TIF or JPG.  But this time the image wouldn't display, but the other images could be made to show by adjusting their brightness and resetting the image.  But they would disappear again soon after.

    I tried reducing the image size of the original TIF image to two thirds the size and one half the size and reinserting that and found no more problem with disappearing images.  And just to double check I tried reinserting the original TIF image at the original size and the problem appeared again.

    So... long story short, Word doesn't seem to like large pixel images (at least in my case), but seems to handle 4400x3400 pixel images.  Bit of a pest if you want hi-res pictures for printing...  Maybe someone else can see if they can replicate it?

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2014-12-25T22:34:27+00:00

    I do not appear to have received a document, probably because as Hannah said that when she copied "a few affected pictures into a file to send to Doug, (and) they seem to appear ok in the separate document (once saved and then re-opened)."

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments