Pictures not showing in Word 2013, no problem with same file in word 2010

Anonymous
2014-12-19T21:17:04+00:00

I have a large word file with numerous pictures inserted as TIFF files. In Word 2010, the pictures are all visible on screen and when I print them. However, when opening the same file (saved as docx or doc - I've tried both) in Word 2013 not all pictures are visible and they don't convert to pdf or print out either. It varies between which ones are and which aren't so I don't think its a problem with the pictures themselves. The pictures come up as either blank white boxes or with a little red cross and the statement 'error picture cannot be displayed'.

All files are less than half a page and therefore shouldn't be affected by the error involving multipage TIFF files that I've seen mentioned.

I've formatted them as 'tight', however I've tried the other options and this doesn't appear to change anything. 

I've also been through the advanced settings options and deselected 'show pictures as placeholders'.

I'm not sure what else to do - I've tried playing around with all sorts including changing privacy options within the trust center. Any advice would be very much appreciated - I wish I'd just stuck with Word 2010!

Many thanks

Hannah

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2014-12-25T15:50:32+00:00

    Are both Office 2013 and 2010 installed on the same machine? If they are on different machines, how are the setups different?

    Also, I'd be interested in learning what Doug finds out when looking at the document.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-12-23T00:01:49+00:00

    I'm not sure why the file would only be corrupted in word 2013, yet have absolutely no problems in word 2010? 

    Is there some sort of setting I can change in word 2013 to force it into using more memory?

    Many thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2014-12-21T14:02:56+00:00

    Well, for a very large document, a resources issue is a possibility. The alternative is some sort of document corruption.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-12-20T00:04:16+00:00

    Thanks Stefan, I've just read through them all, and I seem to have tried all of them.

    I did however just copy a few affected pictures into a file to send to Doug, and they seem to appear ok in the separate document (once saved and then re-opened). I'm wondering if its a setting within Word 2013 to do with how much working memory each file can use whilst its open? The file opens fine and all images display when I open the document with Word 2010 though. Is there a memory setting somewhere in Word 2013 that can be altered? 

    Many thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-12-19T23:30:54+00:00

    Hi Doug,

    Thanks for your response. I've also got endnote references in the document. I tried toggling the field codes, but it just messes up the referencing. Is there a way to just toggle the field codes on just the individual figures? 

    I can send you just a few pages if you like with an example of a few figures - the entire document is too large to send by email.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments