Problem inserting PDF file printout in OneNote?

Anonymous
2013-01-16T13:32:50+00:00

I need to insert a PDF file printout into OneNote, but when I try I get the following error message:

The file you have selected cannot be inserted as a Printout. There may be a problem with the file, or you may not have the right program installed. You must first install a program that can open and print this file type, and then try again.


I've read through some of the other topics in the forums discussing this same problem, but I have no idea how to fix it. If someone could a) figure out what the problem is, and b) walk me though the steps of fixing it.. it would be greatly appreciated!!

I have no problems inserting the other sort of file I've tried inserting as a printout: powerpoint.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-06-08T12:32:00+00:00

I had the same problem from earlier this year (2014) and just upgraded to OFFICE365 and now it all works fine. Must have been a glitch with the 2010 version as it was working for ages and then stopped working earlier this year.

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-28T14:34:21+00:00

    FWIW, "Insert as Printout" works fine in OneNote for Mac, but is greyed out in Win7 OneNote 2010.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-08-30T02:02:11+00:00

    I am getting the same error message, and since I started using the 2013 version with windows 10 all printing is putting my documents on multiple pages where as before, smaller documents under 15 pages or so would print onto one OneNote page. I need my documents on one page, otherwise they are useless for my purposes.  Any ideas?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-08-19T16:48:58+00:00

    I tried the solution involving going into the registry and modifying a print setting.  That didn't work.  If I'm using Adobe Pro 9 (not the reader), is there a different registry entry I need to change?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-05-02T22:09:18+00:00

    I have the same issue as well.  I don't need someone from Microsoft to tell me what's going on.  I can read the error.  I need someone to tell me there is a solution to the problem and what it is.  I re-installed Adobe.  It still didn't work.  There's nothing wrong with my file associations.   And like everyone else, I began having this issue when I upgraded to OneNote 2013.  So these are not wild accusations.  Everyone is having this problem.  Please talk to the software engineers and tell us how to fix the problem.

    I need someone to tell me there is a solution to the problem

    There is a solution to the problem.

    and what it is. 

    Adobe changed 2 characters of their code.

    I re-installed Adobe.  It still didn't work. 

    Yup.  Same code.

    There's nothing wrong with my file associations.  

    Good thing, because this is not a thread about file associations.

    And like everyone else, I began having this issue when I upgraded to OneNote 2013. 

    Latent problems crop up like that.

    So these are not wild accusations. 

    No one said they were.

    Did anyone say they were?

    Everyone is having this problem. 

    There are 3 people in Tibet and 1 person in Berlin who do not have this problem.

    Also, all the people who do not have this problem do not have this problem.

    Please talk to the software engineers and tell us how to fix the problem.

    Just who should talk to the software engineers, and which software engineers are you referring to?

    As for fixing "the problem", I gave explicit instructions above, on how to fix it.

    You can do it.

    Take it one keyboard click at a time, and you'll amaze yourself.

    Cheers,

    Spammy

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments