Problem inserting PDF file printout in OneNote?

Anonymous
2013-01-16T13:32:50+00:00

I need to insert a PDF file printout into OneNote, but when I try I get the following error message:

The file you have selected cannot be inserted as a Printout. There may be a problem with the file, or you may not have the right program installed. You must first install a program that can open and print this file type, and then try again.


I've read through some of the other topics in the forums discussing this same problem, but I have no idea how to fix it. If someone could a) figure out what the problem is, and b) walk me though the steps of fixing it.. it would be greatly appreciated!!

I have no problems inserting the other sort of file I've tried inserting as a printout: powerpoint.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-06-08T12:32:00+00:00

I had the same problem from earlier this year (2014) and just upgraded to OFFICE365 and now it all works fine. Must have been a glitch with the 2010 version as it was working for ages and then stopped working earlier this year.

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-04-26T17:39:25+00:00

    I have the same issue as well.  I don't need someone from Microsoft to tell me what's going on.  I can read the error.  I need someone to tell me there is a solution to the problem and what it is.  I re-installed Adobe.  It still didn't work.  There's nothing wrong with my file associations.   And like everyone else, I began having this issue when I upgraded to OneNote 2013.  So these are not wild accusations.  Everyone is having this problem.  Please talk to the software engineers and tell us how to fix the problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-12-20T17:34:58+00:00

    I need to insert a PDF file printout into OneNote, but when I try I get the following error message:

    The file you have selected cannot be inserted as a Printout. There may be a problem with the file, or you may not have the right program installed. You must first install a program that can open and print this file type, and then try again.


    I've read through some of the other topics in the forums discussing this same problem, but I have no idea how to fix it. If someone could a) figure out what the problem is, and b) walk me though the steps of fixing it.. it would be greatly appreciated!!

    Omar Atay, I LOVE YOU!!!!

    Thanks to you, I figured it out!!!!

    I, too, had this problem with pdf files.

    Thanks to Omar, who set me on the right trail....

    I dug around inside my registry and changed ONE thing.

    I then tried inserting a pdf as a printout, and bazinga!

    It works perfectly!

    I can now insert a pdf file printout, with multiple pages, all into ONE single OneNote page.

    The bottom line:

    (for experts)

    REMOVE the "silent" (/h) switch from Adobe's shell print command.

    The steps to fix:

    FYI:

    I'm using:

    Win 7 Pro

    OneNote 2013

    Adobe Reader version 11 as the DEFAULT APP THAT OPENS PDFs.

    1. Click the Windows key and "R" at the same time.

    This will open a "run" box.

    (the Windows key is located on the bottom left of your keyboard, between CTRL and ALT)

    2. In the box, type "regedit" (example above) 3. Navigate to

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AcroExch.Document.11\shell\Print\command 4. I had this as DEFAULT:

    "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 11.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" /p /h "%1" 5. Double click on the word DEFAULT, and a box will pop up allowing you to change the entry. 6. REMOVE /h from the line, leaving only:

    "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 11.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" /p "%1" 7. Click OK. 8. Exit your registry. 9. Try inserting a pdf file as a printout.*

    Try another one.

    Do another one!  It's fun!  :)

    *Adobe reader will open, with the file.  Leave it be... it's part of the process.

    We've removed the "silent" part, which was telling Adobe Reader to print without displaying anything on the screen.

    Also, it takes an awful long time to bring in a document, but all pdf pages come in to one OneNote page, so it's worth the wait.

    Cheers!

    ~kathy

    spamster

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-12-01T14:16:46+00:00

    When inserting PDF documents into OneNote using the Print command.  Go to file and select "Print."  When the print dialog box comes up look near the bottom for the area "orientation" and select "Landscape" and click "Print."   It will insert your document the correct way; not sideways.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-11-26T16:28:28+00:00

    http://omeratay.com/onetastic)

    Worked Great, Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments