A family of Microsoft spreadsheet software with tools for analyzing, charting, and communicating data.
same issue office 365 -this worked for me
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
In order to open up files in excel 2013 (csv, xlsx, or xls) i must open them directly from within Excel. If I double click a file from Windows Explorer, Excel opens up but does not open the file. No errors. Just a **** excel instance. It looks like I just opened up the application from my start screen.
Other Office 2013 applications work as expected. I.e, I can open up a docx from Windows Explorer just fine.
A family of Microsoft spreadsheet software with tools for analyzing, charting, and communicating data.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
same issue office 365 -this worked for me
This worked for me. What a rel;ief.
I run Windows 10. In the 10525 rev, Excel 2013 starts and opens the excel file with a double click - as you would expect.
HOWEVER, in the new and "better" 10532 revision of Win 10, double click ONLY opens the excel program. I have to drag the file into it to open the file.
Windows 10 rev 10532 appears to me to be the villain.
MICROSOFT - Please fix this.
Simple solution - this did work for me - Options / Advanced / General / untick "Ignore other applications that use Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE)"
Quick Repair solved my problem.
The real question is why there is a problem in the first place; that is, why is Microsoft installing defective software, and letting the user community solve the problem for them?
I installed Office 365 on July 30, and had to "repair" it on July 31.
With any other product, that would be unacceptable, but Microsoft seems quite comfortable with it.
Incidentally, I contacted Office 365 Tech Support about this issue. Their idea of tech support was to give me a link to this page (which I had already seen...as well as dozens of other pages on other forums.)
It's an interesting business model, isn't it? Release defective products and count on the buyers to provide solutions. I can see that it would be far cheaper than getting it right.