Why do I keep getting "not enough memory to run Excel" messages?

Anonymous
2013-05-11T18:45:24+00:00

I have a new very powerful computer. Intel Core i7 with an 8mb L3 cache, a 256gb SSD OS drive of which there is 205gb free, two 1TB mechanical hard drives set up in RAID 1, an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670MX graphics card, and 16gb of 1666mhz ram. It was purchased as a mobile workstation for Pete's sake! With NO other programs open, if I open my email, (Outlook 2013 btw), start a new email, and try to attach a tiny Excel file, (I'm talkin 40kb tiny!) I get an error message that there isn't enough memory to run Excel! I'm not even trying to run Excel! Just attach a small Excel file to an email! What gives? When I look at my resource monitor, there's usually at least 11 or 12 gigs of memory still free. This computer should be able to do literally ANYTHING I want, and multiple programs at once! After the error pops up, I can close it, and then attach the Excel file. Then everything goes ok. Then, sometimes after I've already completely CLOSED Outlook, and I start doing something else entirely, the "not enough memory to run Microsoft Excel. Please close other applications and try again" message pops up on my screen! This is ludicrous! I'm having issues with other Office 2013 apps as well, but this one? Give me a break!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-08-19T10:59:37+00:00

    Thank you for the detailed information, since you have tried most of the steps..

    Right click on computer > select disconnect network drives/ mapped drives

    If this does not work then create a new (test) user account and check

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/Windows7/Create-a-user-account

    I have a very similar issue. I am running Windows 8 and Office 2013. I get the out of memory message with only internet explorer 10 open using Hotmail to attach a file of 40kb. The same problem using Orange email.

    Was there any solution to this problem?

    As a test I just tried to attach a word document and received the following error:

    Header: Microsoft Word 15.0

    "Sorry, something went wrong and Word was unable to start. (24)"

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-05-29T07:16:35+00:00

    Thank you for the detailed information, since you have tried most of the steps..

    Right click on computer > select disconnect network drives/ mapped drives

    If this does not work then create a new (test) user account and check

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/Windows7/Create-a-user-account

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-05-20T17:38:33+00:00

    Thank you for providing this information.. Outlook 2013 no more requires outlook connector, uninstall the outlook connector.

    Outlook 2013 uses exchange active sync feature to configure the Hotmail account.

    Create a new profile, then configure all the three account one by one:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829918

    Also check this :

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2735989

    Ok. I'm sorry, I wasn't real clear as to the purpose of the Outlook connector. It isn't for Hotmail. It is used for our email client we use at work, which is "World Client for MDaemon". As far as I know, the connector is required in order for me to be able to access certain folders, and a certain calendar that not everyone at work has access to. When installed, it shows up in Outlook as Outlook Connector for MDaemon. It's listed as just another email account. I only have one profile also, btw.  But for the sake of research, and trying to figure out the rediculous problem that Outlook 2013 has bestowed upon me, I did uninstall the Outlook Connector for MDaemon, got rid of the email account associated with it, restarted Windows, opened Outlook, started a new email message, and tried to attach an Excel file to it. Instant error message: "There is not enough memory to run Microsoft Excel. Please close other applications and try again" So, to summarize: Disabling all add-ins in Outlook does nothing to solve the error. Uninstalling Outlook Connector for MDaemon does nothing to stop the error. A clean boot of Windows did nothing to stop the error. Uninstalling, reinstalling, or repairing Office 2013 does nothing to fix the error of not enough memory.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-05-20T11:02:37+00:00

    Thank you for providing this information.. Outlook 2013 no more requires outlook connector, uninstall the outlook connector.

    Outlook 2013 uses exchange active sync feature to configure the Hotmail account.

    Create a new profile, then configure all the three account one by one:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829918

    Also check this :

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2735989

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-05-19T15:36:01+00:00

    I know the more information, the better. I'm running Outlook 2013, but I have 3 email addresses, all under one profile in Outlook. One of the addresses requires Outlook Connector. Outlook Connector for MDaemon, to be exact. I wasn't sure if the connector would make any difference.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments