How to turn off "Microsoft Office Upload Center" in Office 2010

Anonymous
2012-01-07T18:34:27+00:00

As stated, I've recently installed office 2010 32-bit on Windows 7 UltSP1.  Now I have an orange icon in the tray which highlights as "Microsoft office Upload Center" and I see no way to disable this "mini-app"  Any ideas?  I'm sure there must be a way.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-01-07T21:50:35+00:00

I found out how.  You can block its startup by unchecking it in msconfig> startup, the MSOSYNC entry,   Also it can be blocked in a registry edit:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Remove the "OfficeSyncProcess" DWord entry

Following a restart the system tray icon did not appear, nor do I see any process for it running.  This issue has been discussed in some previous posts related to Office 2010 integration wiht sharepoint and SkyDrive, apparently.  I had just not encountered it before having Office 2010 on a machine.

Was this answer helpful?

5 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-06-28T17:36:19+00:00

    1 kill the process MSOSYNC.EXE.

    2 Move mouse over the orange icon.

    3 gone

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-07-19T19:18:36+00:00

    open one office application like word. go to file>option>trust center (left bottom) >trust center setting (right bottom) and remove  tick of selections 1.2.3.6>reboot

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-02-27T14:28:43+00:00

    I found SpyBot Search and Destroy effective at a GUI to change msconfig, for those not comfortable using MSCONFIG.  In Advanced Mode, don't let that be too daunting, select 'System Startup' under the 'Tools' section.  Just delete the offending entry.

    There may be other products that also work but I have found S&D effective and reliable for this and any number of other issues.  It should be installed right after Windows :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-02-16T15:42:17+00:00

    This is not the answer! I went to this registry and did not have "OfficeSyncProcess".

    Why is there not a way to turn this off without hacking the registry?

    I am putting this in all my reviews of Office 2013 all over the web!

    start -> run

    msconfig

    Startup Tab

    uncheck both microsoft office 2010 items (msosync.exe and bcssync.exe)

    press ok.

    restart and you are done!

    Hope it helps!

    I don't have that in my start up for 2013.  Maybe I disabled it another way, if so I forgot how.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments