How to disable Microsoft Upload Center 2013 ?

Anonymous
2012-11-22T14:49:19+00:00

Hi,

I uninstalled office 2010 and installed Office 2013. However now there is no way to stop upload centre from starting upon startup. There are no values for it under the startup tab in task manager or the registry startup sections. Strangely enough the old value for office 2010 MSOsync was left behind but I removed it.

How can I stop it from running like in Office 2010 ?

Thanks

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-02-20T08:31:11+00:00

    I agree with all the complaints about microsoft 'forcing' users to use the upload center. Heavy Handed!!

    I found this solution from a google search and it seems to work...

    If you open task manager and stop the process MSOSYNC.EXE (right click and open its location first) that will kill the process. Then perform the following:

    1. In the folder of MSOSYNC.EXE, delete the file.
    2. Open notepad, and save a text file to that same location.
    3. Rename the test file from “New Text Document.txt” to MSOSYNC.EXE

    Many thanks to "Admin" at gearbytes for the solution. (I had to open notepad with administrator rights)

    http://www.gearbytes.com/2013/10/how-to-disable-the-office-2013-upload-center/

    Honestly though, Microsoft are getting more like Appl3 with removing choice from their software, I guess at least their OS is open enough for people like "Admin" to work out hacks...

    Hope this helps someone else

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-02-15T17:53:32+00:00

    Hi,

    you might want to uninstall "Microsoft Office Workspaces" feature of Office.

    Here is the msiexec command:

    msiexec.exe /i {90150000-0011-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE} REMOVE=WxpFiles

    The GUID in this example is Office 2013 Pro Plus, you might change to the GUID of your Office. Take a look into your Registry, under "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall" or "HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall" and look for your Office GUID.

    also, take a look into this thread:

    disable upload center via OCT 2010 Ajdin

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-01-17T12:52:38+00:00

    Hello,

    For office 2013, the upload center is a service that has to be disabled.

    open services.msc > find "Microsoft office services" stop the service than set to manual or disabled.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-12-23T16:17:47+00:00

    Simple solution: 

    Ccleaner>>StartupItems>>ScheduledTasks

    Also, if you navigate to windows scheduled tasks, you will find the entry there despite any illusions.

    Removing mysosync is not a good idea unless you want to be the first to try and let us know.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-11-11T19:57:30+00:00

    I have skydrive installed. The office upload center starts on my system and I do not have a problem with this. However, there have been a few files appear in the upload center as needing updates even thought the files were not opened or editted. In once instance the file corrupted on both sides, my client and the skydrive cloud. This caused me to loose the file.

     

    Is there some reason why it would be seeing random files as needing updates, possibly virus scans or something along those lines? Are there exclusions for skydrive, office or office upload center?

    I think it is possible that an antivirus or security program could alter and corrupt documents, and especially true if the documents contain macros and the security software settings are not properly configured.

    This will largely depend on what software solution you or your employer have selected for virus/malware protection. Unless something has recently changed, consumer versions of McAfee lack the ability for the end user to set file and folder exclusions. This is one of many reasons I refuse to use McAfee products.

    Most of the better options that complete with McAfee, including Microsoft Security Essentials and the subscription-based (not free) options do allow the end user to set exclusions.

    Limitations to setting file and folder exclusions may also be implemented by an IT administrator in a business environment.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments