MSN Money Stock Quotes Not Updating Quotes in Excel 2013

Anonymous
2013-02-24T03:14:27+00:00

I installed the MSN Money Stock Quotes add-in in Excel 2013 and it was working perfectly yesterday, but for some reason it has stopped updating quotes today.  The selection for "Update Quotes" from the add-in toolbar is not active.  However, the "Insert Stock Quotes" button is active and when I press it, I get the Stock Quotes dialog box.  It will insert the formula for the quotes in the spreadsheet, but it does not provide an up-to-date quote.  I would appreciate any help on this, as this add-in is a big time-saver for me.  I did notice that my software was automatically updated yesterday.  (I believe that it was a Windows update, but I am not 100% sure.)  I do not know whether this might have something to do with the change, since, as I said, the add-in was working yesteday.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-04-18T13:55:38+00:00

Did you ever get your MS Money to work?  I had the same problem just yesterday.  The "Update Quotes" tab wouldn't do anything, but the "Insert Stock Quotes" tab would.  I went ahead and re-inserted all the stock symbols by highlilighting my entire selection and everything updated and is working fine again.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-04-23T17:23:48+00:00

    Re entered all of the codes and they still do not show the gains or losses in green and red like before.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-09-01T20:33:26+00:00

    I have been using the plugin below for quite some time. Works great for me. It use Yahoo API and integrate it seamlessly with Excel as exposed custom functions. This is a good alternative to MSN plugin

    http://www.technitya.com/content/stock-quotes-excel

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-08-12T20:18:15+00:00

    From my perspective, the problem is not solved, as COMSFT suggests.

    I can get the quotes by following the advice given throughout this thread, but it is cumbersome.  For example, sometimes, the "USD" parameter does not work, so I shift to "USA" and it works.  Other times, "USA" does not work, so changing it to "USD" does.

    There also does not seem to be any consistency to which formulas work and which do not.  So sometimes, the "USD" parameter works and sometimes it does not.  Formula updates fail randomly.

    I suspect that it is not the actual parameter - i.e. whether I use "USA" or "USD" - that causes MSNStockQuotes to work.  Rather, it seems to me that for some reason, Excel does not trigger an automatic update of these formulas.  So by editing the formula, the calculating engine kicks into gear.  To prove this, I entered "abc" as a parameter in place of "USD" in a failed formula and got a successful update!

    I suppose that it would not be too difficult to write some VBA code that would find the failures and automatically process all of the updates, but it would take time, especially for someone like me who is a VBA novice.

    I wish that Microsoft would publish an update to MSNStockQuotes.  I would even be willing to pay a reasonable fee for it.  I suspect that others who depend upon this add-in would be willing to pay for it as well.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-08-12T17:11:24+00:00

    Thanks to all for your help on this ... I've been able to restore my US stock quotes as a result.

    However, my Canadian stock quotes (i.e. "CA") still do not work. Any ideas how to get those repaired too?...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments