Word 2010 - list number style wont restart at 1

Anonymous
2013-01-29T15:06:46+00:00

I am using the default list numbering in a pretty basic but large (450 page) document.  No macros, no custom styles...I am simply using the default headers and the list numbering.

the trouble all started when i decided it would look better to left align the list numbering.  When I have done this type of thing with regular headers there has never been a problem.  You can easily apply new formatting and apply to the entire document. 

With the List Number style this didnt work.  I found online a suggestion of using the Set Numbering Value at 1 each time which I have been doing for over 2 weeks now but the lists keep reassigning the starting numbers arbitrarily so some lists start at 98 and others at 74 and on and on.  I keep changing them back to start at 1 but again they reset themselvs.

This is an instruction manual so there are alot of short lists (steps on what to do) within alot of sections.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-09-01T16:48:25+00:00

    Old thread but I hope my answer will help someone. I tried the document that is linked to in one of the answers but it doesn't quite work for me.

    What I wanted was to do two things:

    1. Change the indent of the default List Number style and it's children;
    2. Have the List Number style reset to ''1' for each new list.

    The problem I had was that the list would not reset and I'd have to manually reset each list whenever I did a modification upstream in the document. Also, the margin reset didn't stay set.

    Here's how I solved my problem:

    1. Set a paragraph to the default List Number style.
    2. Right click on the paragraph and select the Adjust Line Indents option.
    3. In the dialog box select level 1.

    4. Link this level to the default style (usually Normal)

      4a. Set number style to (none)

      4b. Set alignment and test indent at 0 (or whatever you want)

      4c. Set following number with to 'nothing' and uncheck Add tab stop at: checkbox

    1. Select level 2
    2. Link this level to default List Number style

      6a. Set start at = 1

      6b. Select your number style and enter the formatting

      6c. Select the Restart list after: checkbox and select Level 1

      6d. set alignment and indent as you wish

    1. You may continue to link level 3 to List Number 2, Level 4 to List Number 3, etc.

    Click OK.

    Now all you have to do is to ensure at least one paragraph in the default style is between lists to ensure they restart at 1.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Charles Kenyon 171.1K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2016-04-13T20:18:24+00:00

    Hi Theresa,

    This is a very old and long thread. If you want help you may want to start with a fresh question so it doesn't get too confusing.

    When you reset numbering you want to go through all 9 levels starting with level 1. The step-by-step directions are found in the following article. This is not intuitive.

    How to create numbered headings or outline numbering in Ribbon Versions of Word by Shauna Kelly

    I'm sure this has been referenced in this thread before but am not sure how much you read.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-04-13T20:00:04+00:00

    I have this problem in that when I am in the Multillevel list window (showing more) and I change the start value to 1 (from 9 - where it came from I don't know) it keeps reverting back to 9.

    The only way I could fix it was to import the style from my custom template. Now my list starts at 1 as it should.

    side note: If a style is not working as expected, I change it to a different  style and then back to the one I want and that usually fixes the problem. This number level problem, however, could not be fixed that way.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-07-12T16:33:04+00:00

    I'm trying to accomplish that same as kDeborah. Now taking a look at using the Multi-Level List, which I am somewhat familiar with thanks to ShaunaKelley's very helpful page.  I don't actually need a multi level list. I just need a way for the numbers to restart at one after a 'trigger'. I was hoping that the trigger could be set up in the Modify Multi-Level List dialog box by the 'Restart list after' option, and that I could supply a range of paragraph styles there (Header 1, Header 2, etc.).  

    That way, I could use a single paragraph style (set up with the above) for all numbered lists in the user guide, and whenever the numbered list hits a particilar type of subsequent paragraph style, it will reset to 1. I am pretty sure I have experienced this functionality in other word processing software.

    Unfortunately 'Restart list after' is greyed out at the Level 1 setting, where I need it. I don't need and sublevels. And it looks like even if it was available, it would only allow me to select one style.  In this document, a numbered list of instructions could be followed by Heading 1, Heading 2, or lower heading, depending on where in the document it is located.

    I am interested in hearing the creative thoughts of others. I'm using Word 2010. Maybe a newer version will get me what I need?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-07-12T16:14:16+00:00

    This is exactly what I need as well. I thought this was possible but I must have used something similar to this in FrameMaker. I need the ability to create a style ('ListParaStart') that uses numbering but restarts the numbering at 1. This would save me a huge amount of clean-up editing time in our documents. I am really surprise there is not an option for this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments