Subscript Out of Range error when importing into Access 2007 from Excel.

Anonymous
2010-06-16T03:47:16+00:00

I have been importing Excel files for years. I recently upgraded to Access 2007 on a shared server (Windows Server 2003 R2, Service Pack 2) and now I can't import. Every time I get "Subscript out of Range" when I use the Import Wizard. The file is correct with the correct field names and data. I have tried importing into different tables and always get this error. I can try an .xls or an .xlsx file and neither work.

I have to paste the records in.

Help!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Access | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-09-03T16:30:08+00:00
  1. Just on a whim here, do you column headings use any Reserved Words (or

Wildcard Characters) that might confuse Access?

This was my problem. I had Serial# and # a few other places!

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-11-27T08:09:38+00:00

    It works for me too .

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-11-03T16:39:27+00:00

    Sometimes it's also helpful to restart access and try again. I have been able to import exact same sheets.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-09-10T20:52:00+00:00

    And I love that the word cropped, but spelled with an "a", gets asterisked!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-09-10T20:50:30+00:00

    Wow.

    I've had this problem intermittently for several years:

    Spent hours ensuring columns in Excel were correctly formatted etc - and occasionally that was the problem, but often formatting made no difference - so I would come back to it a day later and then it would work... (This is now a duh moment! - why didn't I see the pattern?!)

    So today the first import went fine, then when it **** out on the second, I closed and re-opened Accessand then it worked. No changes to the file, but now it would import.

    Magic!

    Thanks for the workaround - just saved me hours of frustration!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments