A family of Microsoft word processing software products for creating web, email, and print documents.
Take a look at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/983097 for workarounds.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Is there a fix for this problem?
I have Office 2010 operating on Windows 7 64 bit
When I select File >> Open and click on a Word file (new format or 2003 format) the preview pane has a message as follows
"This file can't be previewed because of an error in the Microsoft Word previewer"
Even if I create a new document and save it, trying to see it in the File Open dialog box gives the same message
A family of Microsoft word processing software products for creating web, email, and print documents.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Take a look at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/983097 for workarounds.
Just got some dopey email asking me if I'd looked at the so-called MS workaround - i.e. use file explorer or open Word files in Excel etc. Still, as long as Windows 8 looks pretty that's all that matters, eh, guys. Thinks: how many businesses will actually want to use Windows 8? Answers on a postcard, please.
P.S. Enjoying using my iPad and iPhone ... they just "work". Novel idea.
August 8, 2012
I also keep getting the error message "ThiS file can't be opened because of an error in Word previewer."
This is ridiculous that a problem of this magnitude should be allowed to exist for so long, considering the money we pay for this Microsoft package. It's annoying and shows poor professionalism
Jim Toth
Happy New Year. Here we are in 2012 Microsoft and no fix for it's Office 2010 bugs. The fix for this apparently is to preview word documents through Excel? Oh come on. This slows me down tremendously when I'm scanning for a certain letter, etc. I don't understand why something that worked so well in the 2003 Office doesn't work for 2010. THis also includes the autotext issue working sporadically. Hello...is anyone working on these issues, or does it just not matter?
I think it just doesn't matter. It is very annoying and since it worked before, why can't they make it work again??
Buy Microsoft and order the programmers to fix it! ;-)
Just for kicks, I opened OpenOffice's writing program to see if the problem occurs there. The first three Word files I clicked on previewed just fine. Upon clicking the fourth one, however, I got the familiar "This file can't be previewed because of an error in the Microsoft Word previewer."
FWIW, I *never* get the error when I use Windows Explorer for previewing. So, if it's an issue with Window Explorer, then it must be in whatever API Word and other programs use to access Windows Explorer's resources.
It's a shame its been going on so long and Microsoft won't fix it!