Excel Web App API?

Anonymous
2010-06-09T22:17:56+00:00

I think I already know the answer to this one, but I was wondering whether there was an API for the Excel Web App? Specifically, I was wondering if it was possible (or if it will be possible in the future) to expose data in a spreadsheet in the Excel Web App as an OData feed, in the way that it is possible with Excel Services?

Thanks,

Chris


Blog: http://cwebbbi.spaces.live.com Consultancy: http://www.crossjoin.co.uk/

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-06-10T15:15:07+00:00

Hi Chris,

Clayton is right that we don't have an API for the Excel Web App that's available through SkyDrive now, though we do have a few that are available through Excel Services that is part of SharePoint (I'm not sure which you are referring to).  In SharePoint we have:

  • a SOAP Web Service
  • a javascript OM available in the browser
  • a REST API

More details on all of these are available here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms582023.aspx

None of these return odata today, but I'd be very interested to hear the scenarios that you're thinking of for using Excel in this type of situation.

Cheers,

Dan

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2010-08-24T20:35:11+00:00

    For my one penny worth having just read this thread, I think my requirement would fit the Use scenario example:

    I work in Excel almost exclusively but need to set up a website with a shop selling about 12 items. Each item can be sold in differing quantities, some items the customer could choose the quantity, others they can only select from given quantites, maybe 6 options on that product.

    According to the customers delivery address location, there will be a delivery charge. Also according to the volume ordered, including mixing of different items, the charge for delivery can vary.

    By process of customer selection of delivery post (zip) code and then selection of product and quantity, repeat product and quantity if multiple products required, a simple formula will then decide on the value of the delivery charge and the customer is given a cost per order that they can break down into cost per item if they wish. I would love to be able to put the data into a spreadsheet and just heave it over to the web guy for inclusion in the site and, conversely he would love to set it all into place and leave me to alter any of the data when required.

     I'd just like to say that I love threads like this which show the mental development progress of software!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-08-24T05:52:35+00:00

    OK thanks Larry. I'll keep posting as long as I keep coming up with ideas.


    http://sqlblog.com/blogs/jamie_thomson/ |@jamiet | About me

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-08-24T04:16:04+00:00

    Jamie, we’re still here and we continually monitor these forums – and thanks again to everyone for the continued examples.  Please continue to post.  The more diverse and specific use cases you can provide about what you want to accomplish, the more you will help us as we continue to prioritize what functionality we should add over time.  As Dan mentioned, while we recognize the value of adding APIs, we can't commit to a specific timetable for when specific support will be added.

    Thanks again,

    Larry Waldman [MSFT]

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more