Excel Web App API?

Anonymous
2010-06-09T22:17:56+00:00

I think I already know the answer to this one, but I was wondering whether there was an API for the Excel Web App? Specifically, I was wondering if it was possible (or if it will be possible in the future) to expose data in a spreadsheet in the Excel Web App as an OData feed, in the way that it is possible with Excel Services?

Thanks,

Chris


Blog: http://cwebbbi.spaces.live.com Consultancy: http://www.crossjoin.co.uk/

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-06-10T15:15:07+00:00

Hi Chris,

Clayton is right that we don't have an API for the Excel Web App that's available through SkyDrive now, though we do have a few that are available through Excel Services that is part of SharePoint (I'm not sure which you are referring to).  In SharePoint we have:

  • a SOAP Web Service
  • a javascript OM available in the browser
  • a REST API

More details on all of these are available here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms582023.aspx

None of these return odata today, but I'd be very interested to hear the scenarios that you're thinking of for using Excel in this type of situation.

Cheers,

Dan

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-12-19T10:05:41+00:00

    Four and a half years after Chris Webb first posted this thread we might finally have an answer. The new Power BI API, announced in a blog post on 18th December 2014, allows one to post data to a service endpoint and that data shows up in Power BI (which, I presume, means its sort of in Excel too).

    A diagrammatic overview of the API:

    I'm rather excited about this. Will go and have a play.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-11-05T17:59:09+00:00

    Great, thanks for the reply, Dan. Are excel online formatting APIs also coming soon? These have been launched for Office 365 business but not yet for free excel online.

    Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-11-05T17:17:39+00:00

    Are you currently working on Apps for excel online (non business) and Apps for office formatting APIs for excel online (non business). From the Office 365 for business roadmap I see that both of these have launched for 365 for business but not for excel online.

    What is the plan here?

    Hi David,

    Apps for Excel Online is coming soon, and you will find them on the Insert tab.  I've attached a picture of what we've got in our "dogfood" environment, which will be what you see when it makes it to production

    Cheers,

    -dan

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-11-05T01:31:37+00:00

    Are you currently working on Apps for excel online (non business) and Apps for office formatting APIs for excel online (non business). From the Office 365 for business roadmap I see that both of these have launched for 365 for business but not for excel online.

    What is the plan here?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments