Excel Web App API?

Anonymous
2010-06-09T22:17:56+00:00

I think I already know the answer to this one, but I was wondering whether there was an API for the Excel Web App? Specifically, I was wondering if it was possible (or if it will be possible in the future) to expose data in a spreadsheet in the Excel Web App as an OData feed, in the way that it is possible with Excel Services?

Thanks,

Chris


Blog: http://cwebbbi.spaces.live.com Consultancy: http://www.crossjoin.co.uk/

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-06-10T15:15:07+00:00

Hi Chris,

Clayton is right that we don't have an API for the Excel Web App that's available through SkyDrive now, though we do have a few that are available through Excel Services that is part of SharePoint (I'm not sure which you are referring to).  In SharePoint we have:

  • a SOAP Web Service
  • a javascript OM available in the browser
  • a REST API

More details on all of these are available here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms582023.aspx

None of these return odata today, but I'd be very interested to hear the scenarios that you're thinking of for using Excel in this type of situation.

Cheers,

Dan

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-02-20T17:11:16+00:00

    Hey Jamie,

    Great to hear that you've been checking out the REST API.  Each release, there's a limited number of things that we can do, and in the 2010 release we wanted to get the basics of the REST service in place (it was our first release with a REST service).

    I can't say too much about what's coming in the next version at this point, but we have made improvements to the service that seem to be in good shape at this point.

    I'd love to hear what you think of the existing REST service since you've played around with it.  Are you finding things that you really like there?  Does it open up interesting scenarios for you as you build solutions?  Are there things that you wish it did but can't figure out how to do?

    cheers,

    -dan [MS]

    hi Dan,

    i'm really glad you asked actually because I've been posting lots of questions on forums and not getting much response (although its still early).

    Not sure I can say too much in public because I've been using the Office 15 tech preview of Office 365 and my questions/feedback have been posted to the Excel Services tech preview forum which is hosted somewhere on Connect.

    I'd be grateful if you could head over there and check some of the questions, feel free to email me at jamie[at]jamie-thomsonDOTnet if you need a link.

    JT

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-02-20T16:39:14+00:00

    Hey Jamie,

    Great to hear that you've been checking out the REST API.  Each release, there's a limited number of things that we can do, and in the 2010 release we wanted to get the basics of the REST service in place (it was our first release with a REST service).

    I can't say too much about what's coming in the next version at this point, but we have made improvements to the service that seem to be in good shape at this point.

    I'd love to hear what you think of the existing REST service since you've played around with it.  Are you finding things that you really like there?  Does it open up interesting scenarios for you as you build solutions?  Are there things that you wish it did but can't figure out how to do?

    cheers,

    -dan [MS]

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-02-20T10:20:14+00:00

    In SharePoint we have:

    • a SOAP Web Service
    • a javascript OM available in the browser
    • a REST API

    More details on all of these are available here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms582023.aspx

    None of these return odata today

    Hi Dan B,

    I have recently been looking into the Excel Services REST API and was very surprised to learn (as you confirm here) that it does not return OData. Why is this? Was it an oversight or a deliberate choice? WIll it be corrected in the future?

    Regards

    Jamie

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-02-07T14:51:14+00:00

    Jamie,

    Excel Services is a service application built for sharepoint 2010 which exposes a REST API for excel documents.  As this is an 'enterprise' feature, I don't see them making it available on the free sites like skydrive & excelmashups, though it would be smart to do so.  Sharepoint  with Word, Excel & Access Web Services can so easily crush the competition if MS would just set it free.

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee556413.aspx

    The Excel REST API is available on Office 365 'E' level plans and it's definately time to go check it out!  Small partners like me are looking forward to pros like you giving it a try now that Office365 makes sharepoint more easily accessible.  Can't wait for your future blog about using REST API to load data from Excel on Office 365 in SSIS and other SQL BI scenerios.

    Keep up the good work!

    Josh

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments