Why all these dots instead of the spaces that were there & ¶ marks when I Reply to or Forward an email in my new Outlook in Office 2019 Pro+?

Anonymous
2025-05-09T01:51:07+00:00

This is crazy and surely there's an easy Settings fix. I've been using Outlook on my Windows PC since the early '90s. Just finally upgraded to Outlook in Office 2019 Pro+ from Outlook 2016. What the heck is Outlook doing by putting dots instead of all the spaces on emails as I'm Replying to them? More importantly, how do I stop it from this madness?

Here's an example:

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-06-24T15:34:20+00:00

    Turn specific formatting marks on or off section of

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/turn-formatting-marks-on-or-off-in-outlook-b166e811-d762-4f24-8328-d897cdace459

    The options you select here will persist for all new email messages you create in Outlook, any replies or forwards you compose, and any text you type in the body of appointments, meetings, events, contact cards, and tasks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-06-24T06:13:45+00:00

    Thanks. Is there any way to have that useless junk never show up? I'd prefer to never see it again in my life. I've lived just fine without it since the very beginning of home computers that ran on MS-DOS, not Windows or Apple's iOS. 🙄

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-06-24T00:24:06+00:00

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/turn-formatting-marks-on-or-off-in-outlook-b166e811-d762-4f24-8328-d897cdace459

    Note that the Format Text tab, in the Paragraph group will only be active when you have your cursor in the Body of a new email (i.e. Not in the "To:", "BCC:" etc.). For clicking on the pilcrow or using the shortcut CTRL+SHIFT+*. (You must use the asterisk on the 8 key.)

    The other option is given as: From a NEW email message, select File > Options > Mail. Compose messages, Editor Options > Display.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-06-23T21:01:22+00:00

    Can I have please have some help with this awful issue? I just recently finally upgraded from Office 2016 to 2019 and these formatting menaces appeared in my emails. I hate them and I don't ever want to see them again or need to turn them off manually every time I create, Reply to or Forward an email.

    This page ****documents/outlook/1414-outlook-turn-off-show-hide-formatting-marks.html#a2 that I found doesn't help me since I can't even figure out what they meant saying "1. In the new composing message window, click File > Options. See screenshot:" in the 2nd "Permanently turn off formatting marks or characters in Outlook" section. I've looked everywhere and can't even figure out what is meant by new composing message window. My Outlook 2019 doesn't have anything that looks like the image they posted.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-06-11T02:33:12+00:00

    Diane or someone, could you please tell me how to permanently stop the Formatting Marks from appearing in the body of my Outlook 2019 emails with an registry change using an Elevated Command Prompt box?

    I really don't ever want to need to keep hiding the things.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments