The new Outlook app doesn't open .eml files

Anonymous
2023-09-28T07:05:42+00:00

Hello, recently the new Outlook app replaced the Mail and Calendar apps. It's nice, but I noticed that when I double click on a .eml file (that was usually opened with the Mail app) this happens:

  1. The Mail app launches, and instantly closes itself to redirect me to Outlook
  2. The Outlook app then launches, but does not open my .eml file. Instead, it lands on its "home page" like when I open the app with its launcher.

I currently cannot open .eml files. If I try to change the default app to open this format, Outlook doesn't appear on the app list so I cannot chose it. I don't know where its launcher is on disk either, so I cannot select it manually.

What should i do to fix this issue?

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2024-05-23T15:37:49+00:00

If I try to change the default app to open this format, Outlook doesn't appear on the app list so I cannot chose it.

It has been a while since this issue was reported and now changing the default app for viewing .eml files to Outlook (new) from the context menu is available. Please change your default app to Outlook new and then try double-clicking on your .eml files.

Was this answer helpful?

8 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-12-27T19:52:57+00:00

    Worked for me!

    said but true

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-12-19T16:51:21+00:00

    I can tell you I have the same issue with Windows 11. This is an issue with Microsoft's new Outlook app itself.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-11-13T15:10:50+00:00

    sorry my reply might annoy if outlook doesnt appear when you right click...

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-11-13T15:09:17+00:00

    I had this issue ( 2 hours of confusion)

    I now go to the folder with the email in: .eml files .

    Right click on the one you want and select : "open with outlook..." this should then work .

    if i double click on it , it opens up calender in Office.....

    For anyones records i was using a localhost with email test mail server tool ..

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments