email attachment disappearing after I reply to an email

Anonymous
2023-10-31T13:27:45+00:00

Hi I am using Office 365 Outlook.

After replying to an email containing an attachment, I can no longer view the attachment. I have tried setting the inbox to show individual messages, not as a conversation (by going to Inbox, filter, show as, messages), but it still seems to be keeping the messages in a conversation (for example, the email with the attachment that has gone missing shows up in the email chain, but when I scroll down to the date it was received, it is missing.

Can you please tell me the best way to resolve this?

I am using Microsoft office 365 MSO version 2302 build 16.0.16130.20806 64 bit

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-05-30T08:10:09+00:00

    This is utterly ridiculous. I received a quote by email, pdf attached. Replied, accepting. Now can't find the quote anywhere. How do people do business like this? Have spent half an hour searching every way I can think of. Please help!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-06-29T18:37:42+00:00

    This is such ****. Sometimes MS programmers act like a arrogant Gods. " We don't care, Move on"

    Often when pressed for time on the road I reply to a message from a customer using mobile app without checking for an attachment to let them know I'm not ignoring them. If there was an attachment, like there was today, its lost.

    At the very least they could warn you or save the attachment temporarily so it could be recovered somehow.

    To go back to a customer, client or superior to request they resend is embarrasing. MS puts loads of nanny protections to save users from themselves. Why not here where its blatently needed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  4. Anonymous
    2024-10-08T14:35:09+00:00

    Click on Reading Pane in the Layout group. Select Options from the drop-down menu. Under Attachment and pictures, check the box for Show attachments in message list and Show attachment preview in reading pane Click OK to save the changes.

    There is no such option in reading pane

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-07-30T12:58:03+00:00

    This worked for me, thank you. However, it is still such a convoluted way to get to attachments that I'm afraid I won't remember what I did next time. Frustrating!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments