I'm currently using the new Outlook, how do I easily insert a horizontal line in an email, now that that feature has been removed the "Insert" menu?

Anonymous
2024-03-25T20:20:43+00:00

I'm having a difficult time trying to figure out how to insert a horizontal line in an email.

Outlook | Windows | New Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-13T00:30:32+00:00

    I figured out how to do it.

    Go to Microsoft Word and create the horizontal line there, then copy and paste that line into your outlook signature.

    STEP BY STEP: In Word, on the Home tab, select the down arrow next to Borders. Select Borders and Shading. In the dialogue box that pops up onscreen, you can then manipulate the color and thickness of your line too. On the Borders tab of that dialogue box, I clicked on Custom so that my line does not become a full border that wraps around the full document. Also, the width I picked was 4 1/2 pt.

    *If you just need a basic black line, you can type out three lower dash lines (this thing _ on your keyboard). You have to use the Shift key to access the bottom dash (this is not it's official name sorry). Click on it 3 times ( ___ ) and hit Enter. That creates an underline in both Word and Outlook.

    Hope this helps you. It shouldn't be this hard!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-06T20:30:26+00:00

    In my attempt to respond to an email this morning (and searching for the same insert horizontal line as everyone else) I went down the same rabbit hole as some of the posters in this thread and found it! Steps listed below.

    1. Click Format Text between Options and Review at the top of email window
    2. Click ribbon ellipsis ... (far right three dots)
    3. Select Borders under Paragraph
    4. Arrive at the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow Horizontal Line

    The site won't allow me to post my screenshot sorry but you should find it with the steps above.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-01-10T18:23:27+00:00

    You can create one in Word then copy and paste it over. Fastest way I've found

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-11-29T12:07:00+00:00

    Thank you for the great idea, you can save the file direct from notepad as .html, also you can bookmark it in the browser, so you can open it fast without needing access to your desktop.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-11-21T15:16:17+00:00

    I have to say the pathetic update to OUTLOOK is useless but I found a solution. I went back to CLASSIC Outlook. All my functions are back, I can enter a horizontal line in an email again, my Notes, are back in Outlook where they always were and in the organizational lineup I placed them instead of having to scroll endlessly trying to find in a list. Category tags work properly, the email heading columns are back so I can sort how ever I want... All the things I came to depend on are there.

    Classic Outlook was, and still is good and no reason to even attempt to continue to struggle with the New Outlook which as I stated earlier seems to have gone backwards 15 years in functionality.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments