I'm currently using the new Outlook, how do I easily insert a horizontal line in an email, now that that feature has been removed the "Insert" menu?

Anonymous
2024-03-25T20:20:43+00:00

I'm having a difficult time trying to figure out how to insert a horizontal line in an email.

Outlook | Windows | New Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-06-24T20:49:09+00:00

    Here's my workaround for this issue:

    • Create a txt file on the desktop with the following lines:

     <br />

    <div><hr /></div>

     <br />

    • Save it with whatever name you want (I called my HorizontalLine.txt)
    • Make sure you're showing file name extensions in windows explorer and then rename the file and change the extension on the file to html instead of txt.
    • Open the file in the browser
    • Highlight the empty space before the line all the way down through the empty space after the line
    • Press CTRL+C
    • Go to your email and place the cursor where you would like the line and press CTRL+V

    And since you saved this file to your desktop, it's always handy when you need a horizontal line in Outlook 365 online.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-05-15T21:35:42+00:00

    I'm in the same boat as Daniel Felix2. Our company is trying to switch to the new Outlook, but features like inserting a horizontal line are still required for many of our employees, so please add that feature back in future releases.

    Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-05-24T13:20:54+00:00

    Same issue here. I like the horizontal line feature to segregate two areas of my email to send to boss to review the information below the line. Please add this feature back in new outlook.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-07-02T17:33:23+00:00

    I'm having a difficult time trying to figure out how to insert a horizontal line in an email.

    Not sure how long this has been available but I did find a solution to this issue.

    When you open a new email, on the far-right side of my screen under Options is the "Auto format options" button. Clicking on that brought up the option to create horizontal lines. The option was unchecked when I opened this. After selecting the option, Outlook started converting underscores and hyphens to horizontal lines.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-05-21T01:56:46+00:00

    hello microsoft

    i am very much missing this feature as well..

    please include soon as i will go back to the old outlook for now

    best regards

    davina

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments