How to Switch "From" Email Address in Outlook WITHOUT Opening a New Message Window

Anonymous
2024-05-14T20:31:44+00:00

Hi,

In old Outlook, I was easily able to change the "from" email address by selecting any email account that was set up in my Outlook. I could simply switch the "from" email and send the email I was working on. Everything worked as it should.

Now, when I change the "from" email, Outlook automatically opens a new message window instead of just changing the address in the email I'm trying to send. It's so incredibly frustrating.

PLEASE HELP!

Outlook | Windows | New Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-08-22T11:30:23+00:00

    Exactly same problem, very frustrating. It even does it for emails in the same organisation for me.

    My workaround is to forward the email to my preferred email address then reply from there.

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-05-14T22:06:23+00:00

    Dear Todd B B,

    Good day! Thank you for posting to Microsoft Community. We are happy to help you.

    Based on your description, I understand that you have a query "How to Switch "From" Email Address in Outlook WITHOUT Opening a New Message Window?"

    To switch the "From" email address in Outlook without opening a new message window, you can follow these steps:

    1. Click on the "Options" tab in the ribbon at the top of the Outlook window.
    2. Click on the "Show From" button in the "Show Fields" section.
    3. A "From" field will appear above the "To" field in the message window. Click on the "From" field.
    4. Select the email address you want to use from the drop-down list.
    5. The "From" email address will now be changed in the email you are working on.

    I tested this on my end, and I can switch "From" Email Address in new Outlook freely. If the issue persists after trying this, please try remove the account and readd it or try repairing your outlook.

    If none of these steps resolve the issue, please let me know and provide details like version of Outlookso we can explore other options. Please understand that our initial response may not always resolve the issue right away. However, with your help and more detailed information, we can work together to find a solution. Thank you for your help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-08-13T19:21:34+00:00

    When I try to change the "from" account by switching between emails with the same domain, a new window is populate and the thread is lost. I'm not in a shared inbox but I've logged into multiple accounts.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-06-14T18:56:02+00:00

    There is no Options tab in new Outlook Mac version that I can see...

    Very frustrating backwards step in the new design.

    Is there a way of adding the ability to select from various "From" email addresses when replying to an email on the Mac version of new Outlook?

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-08-26T12:35:47+00:00

    You really are the King, Coleman. Thank you for this!!!

    Microsoft... make him an offer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments