Stop changing the display of email addresses to names on outlook. This is supporting CYBERSECURITY Criminals.

Reported
Anonymous
2023-12-01T19:38:31+00:00

When I type an e-mail address to someone, Outlook changes it to the name in my contacts instead of leaving it alone as the actual e-mail address.

For example, I received an email from an unknown contact (a scammer) whose email address is **removed for privacy reasons**@gmail.com and outlook displays my CEO's name instead of the scammer's email address. How and why is my CEO's name displayed from an email address that has random letters??

The way Outlook is currently displaying names instead of email addresses makes people extremely vulnerable to scams, phishing, malware, and other cybersecurity threats.

Furthermore, I am not the first person to raise this issue. Please see this same issue raised at this link: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/all/show-the-actual-e-mail-address-instead-of-the-name/09baa36a-b494-456c-901f-475032c72b8d?page=1  Microsoft needs to address this issue and stop giving responses on forums that are unrelated to issue at hand. Instead please ESCALATE this issue to appropriate party responsible for making decisions and TAKE ACTION immediately.

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-03-24T14:26:47+00:00

    The original link stopped working. I'd hate to imagine why Microsoft would cause a feedback link to stop working but I think I found the related feedback link anew:

    https://feedbackportal.microsoft.com/feedback/idea/11d4f30f-eec4-ee11-92bd-6045bd7b0481

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-03-24T14:04:46+00:00

    Thank you, Stephen. I'm sure this ADD ON is helpful, but it is still an Add-on. One which I cannot use on corporate equipment. It is too bad that Add-ons must be used to just get basic functions on applications these days.

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-03-11T18:46:43+00:00

    your answer is sincerely LAME

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-02-20T21:43:15+00:00

    The sh*t developers waste their time on is beyond me. Making things worse where no one asked for it.

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-01-11T14:47:29+00:00

    Really??? You are kidding, right?

    0 comments No comments