Stop changing the display of email addresses to names on outlook. This is supporting CYBERSECURITY Criminals.

Reported
Anonymous
2023-12-01T19:38:31+00:00

When I type an e-mail address to someone, Outlook changes it to the name in my contacts instead of leaving it alone as the actual e-mail address.

For example, I received an email from an unknown contact (a scammer) whose email address is **removed for privacy reasons**@gmail.com and outlook displays my CEO's name instead of the scammer's email address. How and why is my CEO's name displayed from an email address that has random letters??

The way Outlook is currently displaying names instead of email addresses makes people extremely vulnerable to scams, phishing, malware, and other cybersecurity threats.

Furthermore, I am not the first person to raise this issue. Please see this same issue raised at this link: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/all/show-the-actual-e-mail-address-instead-of-the-name/09baa36a-b494-456c-901f-475032c72b8d?page=1  Microsoft needs to address this issue and stop giving responses on forums that are unrelated to issue at hand. Instead please ESCALATE this issue to appropriate party responsible for making decisions and TAKE ACTION immediately.

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-02-27T12:52:58+00:00

    I tried this. It did not work.

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-12-18T10:47:35+00:00

    For anyone else having this same issue, who finds this page,

    I went to the feedback page, looked for someone who had already raised this concern, couldn't find it on the list, so added it myself;

    If you want this fixed, please add your voice:

    https://feedbackportal.microsoft.com/feedback/idea/6f783689-929d-ee11-92bd-0022484eec36

    (if that is a duplicate feedback request, very happy for it to be deleted / amalgamated with any overlapping existing feedback request - but I couldn't see anything there)

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-04-24T22:39:24+00:00

    This is a HUGE security risk. Inconceivable that MS still FORCES dangerous and misleading "friendly names" for Outlook desktop app users. Besides the security risk, I would like to know what email address I sent an email to by quickly looking at it. Note the word "quickly" here and don't tell me to open the message or hover over anything. And I want to be able to archive emails by printing to a PDF that shows which email address I sent a message to. This can impact legal liability in my business. How hard is it to fix this??????

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-03-28T12:43:15+00:00

    I would also like this to be REMOVED as a feature.

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-03-19T15:39:08+00:00

    I'd like to also add my voice to the objection to this feature.

    Our company uses a ticketing system which is affected by this feature.

    One individual replies to a customer, but the friendly name feature switches the responder to another individual.

    This is not ideal as we have customers replying to the second individual and not the first.

    Can you please implement an off switch? We don't want or need this feature.

    Thanks.

    0 comments No comments