New Outlook does not auto-format email address as hyperlink

Anonymous
2024-01-19T19:07:07+00:00

I recently switched over to the new version of MS Outlook. I noticed that when I'm composing an email message in which I am typing in an email address, the email address no longer auto-formats into a clickable hyperlink. I've looked in each Settings category on MS Office and Outlook and can't find a solution. I never had this issue with the old version of Outlook.

I have had to manually create a "mailto" hyperlink every time I add an email into a message. If I type "mailto:" before the email address, it will auto-format to a link, but it will still include the words "mailto:" - I have to manually go in and edit the title of the hyperlink.

All of my emails are formatted in HTML as per my settings. This issue persists across browser and desktop versions.

Please see examples of issue below:

(No auto-format)

"Hello,

I've included John Smith's contact information below:

*John *****@sample.com" << plain text

(Adding "mailto:" to autoformat hyperlink)

"Hello,

I've included John Smith's contact information below:

John Smithmailto:*****@sample.com*" << clickable link

(After manually editing title of mailto hyperlink - Desired outcome)

"Hello,

I've included John Smith's contact information below:

*John *****@sample.com" << clickable link

Outlook | Windows | New Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-06-12T21:48:33+00:00

    Thanks for the info but I'm on a Mac.Do you know if they offered a fix for Mac?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-04-24T17:03:28+00:00

    How is it possible to compose the email without the links showing?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-04-24T15:26:07+00:00

    Yes, it works in your sent mail but you should be able to test it while composing an email. You can highlight the URL, in your email while composing, right click, and select 'open hyperlink' - but why these extra steps?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-04-24T08:54:17+00:00

    I'm beginning to think this maybe a system administrator setting. I'm going to dig into this a bit more. I'll report back if I find anything.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-04-24T08:53:12+00:00

    This is exactly what I was doing until I decided to try sending without the hyperlink showing. I was pleasantly surprised to see that my sent e-mail included the hyperlink. Wondering if the issue is maybe a system administrator setting??

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments