New Outlook does not auto-format email address as hyperlink

Anonymous
2024-01-19T19:07:07+00:00

I recently switched over to the new version of MS Outlook. I noticed that when I'm composing an email message in which I am typing in an email address, the email address no longer auto-formats into a clickable hyperlink. I've looked in each Settings category on MS Office and Outlook and can't find a solution. I never had this issue with the old version of Outlook.

I have had to manually create a "mailto" hyperlink every time I add an email into a message. If I type "mailto:" before the email address, it will auto-format to a link, but it will still include the words "mailto:" - I have to manually go in and edit the title of the hyperlink.

All of my emails are formatted in HTML as per my settings. This issue persists across browser and desktop versions.

Please see examples of issue below:

(No auto-format)

"Hello,

I've included John Smith's contact information below:

*John *****@sample.com" << plain text

(Adding "mailto:" to autoformat hyperlink)

"Hello,

I've included John Smith's contact information below:

John Smithmailto:*****@sample.com*" << clickable link

(After manually editing title of mailto hyperlink - Desired outcome)

"Hello,

I've included John Smith's contact information below:

*John *****@sample.com" << clickable link

Outlook | Windows | New Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-04-18T14:47:41+00:00

    Hi all,

    Even though you will not see a clickable link as you compose the e-mail, the link will populate when you send the e-mail. You can verify this by checking the sent e-mail. 👍

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-04-07T19:56:04+00:00

    Why in the world would Microsoft undo an 'efficiency' feature that already existed for a long time? I don't understand. The response from Microsoft here is some hoopla about the new Outlook for Windows being 'on-developing', whatever that means. The autolink email address features is something professionals have been using for many years, so to pretend that it is some new feature is bonkers. Just restore the prior settings. Please.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-01-30T10:20:44+00:00

    Hi everyone.

    Just spent two hours with Microsoft support with Jahbeth. I showed him using Quick Assist where he could access my laptop. He consulted with support an all they said is that it only works with new emails and not those in your contacts. He is raising it with Support but I don't see anything happening I said I was very disappointed with the outcomeespecially as it worked on the Mail App!!

    It looks like they couldn't understand why we needed it.

    Here's his reply not particularly relevant I thought.

    Yiu could try contacting Support and see if you get a diffrent reply. The more that do they may take some action?? Good luck.

    Hi Bryan,

    Thank you for contacting Microsoft Support.

    Below is a helpful link related to your issue for your future reference. 

    Hyperlinks are not working - Outlook | Microsoft Learn

    Bing

     

    For more information:

    If you still need assistance, please Contact Us.

     Thanks again, 

    Jahbeth 

    Microsoft Customer Support  

    Your service request number is 7065609783 in case you need it. 

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-01-22T15:00:41+00:00

    It's just unbelievable that this issue is still unresolved.

    It's as if they don't even listen to us!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-01-06T20:21:53+00:00

    F-ing Mickey Soft is worthless!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments