Live.com login activity and a warning "Unusual activity detected"

Anonymous
2022-07-10T21:32:50+00:00

I could not find a more direct forum than Outlook to ask this question, if it is not the right forum my apologies.

I received an e-mail alert that indicated unusual activity detected on my live.com account. When I checked the recent activity, I found two IP numbers. One matched my external IP and the other did not. I changed my password right away and checked the activity again. To my surprise, the other IP and its variants were appearing along with my external IP number at the same intervals.

I tried to find the IP number roots and ironically, it pointed at Microsoft. I am really confused! Can someone explain the source of this IP and whether I need to do anything to stop it from occurring.? I use Edge browser and I log in with my account. When it syncs, does it use a separate IP from my IP number?

Thank you,

Cemal

Note: I am not using the Outlook mail client. I check my mail using two different mail clients on two different computers at the same location that share the same external IP number. On occasion, I check my live.com e-mail online using a Web browser.

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-07-16T07:59:46+00:00

    I was told that they are still investigating the root cause. So we all need to wait patiently. I'll update here once I get something new.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-07-15T13:57:31+00:00

    I have changed my password twice and have been checking the activity log. In the last two days, I have not seen any unusual login from 13.101.xxx.xxx . That is good news to me. I would like to be informed as to the cause of the problem when the team finds the answer.

    Cemal

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-07-15T08:18:27+00:00

    Before this issue gets fixed by Microsoft tech team, here are the things you can do:

    1. Change your Microsoft account password
    2. Add security info to your Microsoft account
    3. Sign out your Microsoft account from all the apps and all the devices
    4. Check if you were using VPN

    Learn more about What happens if there's an unusual sign-in to your account (microsoft.com)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-07-14T15:30:38+00:00

    The "unusual activity" continues, here are a few more MSFT IP addresses:

    Protocol: POP3
    IP: 13.*********.102
    Account alias:
    t******@live.com
    Time: 1 hour ago
    Approximate location: United States
    Type: Unusual activity detected
    
    Protocol: POP3
    IP: 13.*********.229
    Account alias:
    t********@live.com
    Time: 1 minute ago
    Approximate location: United States
    Type: Unusual activity detected
    

    and as I said they are Microsoft IPs:

    Network
    Net Range	13.*********.0 - 13.*********.255
    CIDR	13.*********.0/14
    13.*********.0/11
    13.*********.0/13
    Name	MSFT
    Handle	NET-13-*********-0-1
    Parent	NET13 (NET-13-*********-0)
    Net Type	Direct Allocation
    Origin AS	
    Organization	Microsoft Corporation (MSFT)
    Registration Date	2015-03-26
    Last Updated	2021-12-14
    Comments	
    RESTful Link	https://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-13-*********-1
    

    -T

    ****Remove PII****

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-07-13T19:42:47+00:00

    One thing I noticed was when I use my regular mail client, I get the unusual activity report. I closed and did not use the mail client for almost a day, and the unusual activity from the connection reports. When I start using the mail client unusual activity starts showing up. I started a ticket with the mail client software company as well.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments