Live.com login activity and a warning "Unusual activity detected"

Anonymous
2022-07-10T21:32:50+00:00

I could not find a more direct forum than Outlook to ask this question, if it is not the right forum my apologies.

I received an e-mail alert that indicated unusual activity detected on my live.com account. When I checked the recent activity, I found two IP numbers. One matched my external IP and the other did not. I changed my password right away and checked the activity again. To my surprise, the other IP and its variants were appearing along with my external IP number at the same intervals.

I tried to find the IP number roots and ironically, it pointed at Microsoft. I am really confused! Can someone explain the source of this IP and whether I need to do anything to stop it from occurring.? I use Edge browser and I log in with my account. When it syncs, does it use a separate IP from my IP number?

Thank you,

Cemal

Note: I am not using the Outlook mail client. I check my mail using two different mail clients on two different computers at the same location that share the same external IP number. On occasion, I check my live.com e-mail online using a Web browser.

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Don Varnau 19,930 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2022-07-24T09:21:10+00:00

    I could not find a more direct forum than Outlook to ask this question, if it is not the right forum my apologies.

    I received an e-mail alert that indicated unusual activity detected on my live.com account. When I checked the recent activity, I found two IP numbers. One matched my external IP and the other did not. I changed my password right away and checked the activity again. To my surprise, the other IP and its variants were appearing along with my external IP number at the same intervals.

    I tried to find the IP number roots and ironically, it pointed at Microsoft. I am really confused! Can someone explain the source of this IP and whether I need to do anything to stop it from occurring.? I use Edge browser and I log in with my account. When it syncs, does it use a separate IP from my IP number?

    [snip]


    From The Register via MSN

    There's something fishy going on with Microsoft Outlook

    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/there-s-something-fishy-going-on-with-microsoft-outlook/ar-AAZRQDY?cvid=eeb7ad8c1e60448dbdee922795ccd6ae 

    Don

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-07-13T18:52:50+00:00

    Seeing the same issue with two accounts I had mostly for archiving purposes. Same thing with the Microsoft IP addresses. The email addresses in question had not been used to sign up for any other accounts or anything so it seems highly unlikely it could be a leak from from some other source. Also the unusual activity keeps recurring even after I have gone through the process of changing my password and indicating that the attempted login was not me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-07-13T01:14:06+00:00

    I see 4 people marked "I have the same question". I've submitted this issue to Microsoft Tech team so that they can investigate it. I'll update once I get an answer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-07-11T11:09:12+00:00

    I have the exact same issue! I got an email saying I have unusual activity found, went to my account activity, found the IP address and when I looked it up, it said it was a Microsoft data centre. The address matches the Microsoft address if you google it. I am so confused and worried if my account has been compromised by someone in Microsoft itself!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-07-11T07:56:16+00:00

    Hello , EkinRI

    Welcome to Microsoft Community.

    I tried to find the IP number roots and ironically, it pointed at Microsoft. I am really confused! Can someone explain the source of this IP and whether I need to do anything to stop it from occurring.? I use Edge browser and I log in with my account. When it syncs, does it use a separate IP from my IP number?

    There must be detailed record about your IP numbers in which will explain why this happened. If you still don't understand the reason, would you mind going to taking screenshots about what you see, and sending the screenshots here, so that I can figure out the root cause?

    Looking forward to your reply.

    Best Regard,

    Yuhao Li| Microsoft Community Support Specialist

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments