The dreaded 0x800CCC0F sending error

Anonymous
2022-07-21T19:36:33+00:00

I am now running Microsoft® Outlook® 2016 MSO (Version 2206 Build 16.0.15330.20260) 64-bit, on Windows 8.1; I had been running the 32-bit version, but I upgraded to 64-bit in an attempt to resolve this error on sending: "Task '[email account] - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC0F): 'The connection to the server was interrupted....' "

My Outlook is configured for two IMAP accounts, both with Google - one is a GMail account, the other is Google Workspace account that services email for my domain (59plymouth.net). Outlook is also configured for a work Exchange account.

A few weeks ago - not sure, but I think after a reboot, and when Windows updates were applied - both IMAP accounts stopped sending. The Exchange account continues to work without issue.

The updates were July updates - 5015874, 50156268, and 50154633. Suspecting these, I backed them out and disabled updates. No luck. I then did the Outlook 64-bit upgrade. NADA.

I'd suspect Google, but my iPhone continues to work without issue for both accounts; so does my iPad (which also talks to my Exchange account).

I'm not sure where to go from here. And ideas about how to further diagnose?

adTHANKSvance,

Dan

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-09-30T14:00:27+00:00

    I have been going back through some reports with the errors:

    “The connection to the server was interrupted.”

    “Your server unexpectedly terminated the connection.  Possible causes include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity.”

    One cause I found is if TLS 1.3 got configured on the machine. I am working on a Known Issue to document it but sharing here in case it can help. I don't know yet what is setting this regkey.

    1. This issue will occur if your machine was updated to have TLS 1.3 configured.  To workaround the issue do the following:
    2. Click Start, search for Regedit and open the application
    3. Navigate to this path in the registry: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocol
    4. Before you make any change, right click on the Protocols key and Export it for a backup just in case.
    5. If under Protocols you see TLS 1.3 delete that key and its sub keys.

    This is how it should look from my Win11 computer:

    Image

    Here are a couple other forum threads where they had the same issue for more context and other investigation steps:

    Outlook 2016 connectivity to gmail lost suddenly and cannot figure out - Microsoft Community

    Outlook Cannot Send Emails to Certain Accounts - Microsoft Community

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-07-21T20:47:42+00:00

    Unfortunately, I can't answer what you're running into on the Google side of things but you may want to try using a private browser session (or a different browser) to see if that changes anything. If not, you'll need to get a hold of Google support

    FWIW - the attached screenshot that I just took before posting this response, shows what I see on my account

    .

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-07-21T20:45:29+00:00

    Waydaminit! That's all I saw with my Google Workspace account, for which I am administrator; I have to figure out how to enable 2-Step Verification with that. However, when signed into my GMail account, I *do* see 2-step verification. I'll work on that account first. Stay tuned, and thanks!

    Dan

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-07-21T20:29:41+00:00

    Thanks Karl! I'm trying it now. However: under #1 above, support.google.com says this:

    Allow 2-Step Verification

    1. Open your Google Account.
    2. In the navigation panel, select Security.
    3. Under “Signing in to Google,” select 2-Step Verification and then Get started.
    4. Follow the on-screen steps.

    ...but for (3), I don't see 2-Step Verification as an option under "Signing in to Google". There's simply an option to change my password, which first prompts me for my current password. Am I missing something?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-07-21T20:10:43+00:00

    Hello Dan

    Hi, I'm Karl and will be happy to help you today.

    What you need to do is enable 2 factor authentications on your Gmail account and then generate an <App Password> to be used as the password or the email account in Outlook. This is a Google change that took effect June 1, 2022

    Recap of steps

    #1 - enable 2 factor authentication for the GMail account

    Turn on 2-Step Verification

    https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/1858...

    #2 - generate a Google <App Password> for this account (do not turn off 2FA fter generating the <App Password>)

    Sign in with App Passwords

    https://support.google.com/mail/answer/185833?h...

    #3 - Change the password in Outlook for the email account to use the <App Password> you generated in step #2 (suggest using copy ;n paste - the <App Password> is a contiguous 16 character string - no spaces)

    *** for an account already configured in Outlook, to change the email account password

    #4 - press CTRL+ALT+S to bring up the Send / Receive dialog

    #5 - Select the <Group> (most people only have one) --> click on ,<Edit>

    #6 - Select the GMail account --> click on <Account Properties>

    #7 - paste the <App Password> for the email account password

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments