Spam in hotmail account 2022

Anonymous
2022-11-23T20:14:58+00:00

The junk e-mail filter does not appear to be working since the start of 2022. It’s like the full filtering has been turned off overnight. Junk that was normally not in my inbox is now coming in at dozens a day. I can’t seem to find a setting for filtering strictness in the settings either. Does anyone know what changed since 2022? I am seriously considering closing my account that I have been using since 1993.

Online descriptions of issues say that i can work with automatic filtering - my hotmail outlook doesnt even have a ribbon anymore! Can anyone help me? I cant keep blocking individually or using yhe blocked senders function because if the randomly generated domain names with each junk email.

Isthere away of only letting through safe senders?

Outlook | Outlook for mobile | Outlook for Android | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-08-25T16:09:05+00:00

    Yes, I get 20-30 spam emails a day in my hotmail account and only a couple a day in my yahoo account. Hotmail must be selling my address to the spammers.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-04-16T21:50:57+00:00

    There is something sinister going on with hotmail. Since 2022, there has been a high level of spam hitting my inbox, even though some of it gets sent to the junk folder. This behavior is greater if you use the free app from Microsoft on Android or on Windows. If you use the paid services like outlook 365, you dont see the same level of phishing attacks. The filtering seems to be more effective in filtering email from genuine sources than from Phising senders.

    It is as if Microsoft has turned of the spam filtering they were doing in their back end and off loaded it to their 'free' apps such as Android version of outlook, to encourage their users to use paid subscriptions.

    I dont see as much spam/phishing in Yahoo, Google mail services. In fact my Google account has received no spam.

    What is going on? Microsoft has always been shady about this.

    All help suggest setting the filtering to allow mail from known senders. I dont really want to do this, since it is not possible to know the sender before they have sent me mail. MS needs to keep out mail that is being send from Spurious addresses. It is hard to believe in the age of Chat GPT, they cannot do a decent job like Google.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-02-21T20:47:39+00:00

    I'm using hotmail via the Outlook app and Hotmail via Outlook Email on my laptop. I get loads of phishing emails in my junk folder, and like a lot of us since November 2022, a lot of it in our inboxes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-02-21T10:30:33+00:00

    That would be because this company has neglected us.

    I want to know how such a massive company (which was around before Google) can't detect spam, but Gmail can?

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-02-20T17:17:51+00:00

    I have the paid version and I'm still getting spam and it's so annoying. It doesn't happen to my .live but .hotmail. I do even have the filtered list, however, I am using the safe and block list which is more restrictive and it's still not blocking the emails I keep blocking and reporting.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments