Delay rule in Outlook causing emails to get permanently stuck in outbox

Anonymous
2023-01-18T15:42:26+00:00

I have a three minute delay rule set up in Outlook. Previously this has worked with no issues, however, now about 50% of my emails get stuck in my outbox when they send. After hitting send the email goes to the outbox with the 'editing' symbol (piece of paper with pencil) next to it rather than the 'send' arrow symbol. If, after three minutes, send/receive is pressed the email won't send. If the email is opened and send hit again it wont send. The only way to send the email is to copy the text into a new email and send that. If I turn the rule off the issue goes away.

My internal IT department has been unable to help, they have run the repair function, created a new profile and reduced the downloaded emails, none of which helped.

Thanks in advance for contributions.

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-04-18T15:47:46+00:00

    There is no real glitch, I found best practice is to NOT open the email once it's in the outbox. Just leave it alone and it will go. If you second-guess yourself on the email content or attachment, do a new email instead.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-03-28T15:59:23+00:00

    Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! It has been a whole year of me accidentally sending emails too quickly because I couldn't get this rule to work!!! Thanks for saving me a lot of headaches!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-03-26T21:09:46+00:00

    That used to work but now it doesn't.

    What helped me today was going into my Outlook webmail and repeating those steps. I was able to successfully push meeting invites and emails out. Ideally, would love a more permanent fix.

    I've also followed the Add-In/Adobe instructions Terri Becker offered in the hopes I don't have to repeat any manual intervention steps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-10-13T18:19:19+00:00

    Same issue here

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-09-27T14:51:36+00:00

    This issue was solved for me after I upgraded to 64-bit version of Outlook.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments