Outlook stuck on synchronizing folders

Anonymous
2023-06-26T16:15:19+00:00

Just installed a new workstation and the user is not receiving emails. At the bottom there's a bar that says 'synchronizing inbox' - I've tried the IMAP settings to unsubscribe from the folders and also tried unchecking the microsoft cloud setting but still nothing. When I click details in send/receive it says 6 minutes remaining but it's been stuck there for 2 hours.

Help!

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-16T12:38:46+00:00

    It is just a Microsoft software so expect you all to have issues. I stopped using Outlook for 5/6 and I wanted to give it a new try syncing that they had enough time to fix these stupid bugs. And what? nothing at all. What a disgraceful company.

    Since they purchase skype, the application became rubbish. Microsoft, stop ruining things

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-05-01T21:44:45+00:00

    This still did not work. I already had all those settings selected. I am running classic Outlook (not "new" Outlook) on a PC. This mailbox has very limited contents - I created another mailbox that has all my saved items, and that one does not receive or send. So the one that hangs has only about 100 newer emails, plus my Sent Items folder, which is at 132 MB right now. I empty the Trash folder every few days and there is nothing in the rest of the folders.

    The hang on Synchronizing Inbox problem occurs intermittently. I can still receive email as webmail on my Comcast account as well as on my iPhone native email app. Sometimes I can clear it by using CTRL-ALT-DEL and the End Task function, but even that is not working now. Any suggestions welcome. Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-03-12T22:02:26+00:00

    Excellent fix, worked for me too. Thanks for the details !

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-02-03T11:55:12+00:00

    I've been trying for YEARS through several versions of Outlook to speed this up. I have a problematic IMAP account with 50K+ messages in the sent mail and 100K+ in a folder. This is the first suggestion that actually worked.

    Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-02-01T19:15:03+00:00

    Wow, thanks Katherine, I had the same problem and your solution worked perfectly!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments