Fake "Microsoft Outlook" robo e-mail

Anonymous
2022-05-15T18:01:24+00:00

An e-mail from "Microsoft Outlook" automatically shows up within seconds of opening my Hotmail account. The "MO e-mail will not let me send it to junk, delete it, etc. nor, when hovering over the address, does it ID anything about the sender. It does have three options: open it, trash can, or a square with the word Ad in it. The Subject line says: Upgrade Your Account Get the latest premium etc. I close out of Hotmail, even shut down my computer, but the "MO email" shows up within seconds of login. Is there any way to block this (what-I-believe-is-robo) spam? Need help!  Thx.

Outlook | MacOS | Legacy Outlook for Mac | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-06-24T10:42:06+00:00

    Who or whatever it is is definitely using these "ads" in the UK too. I'm in the UK and im the latest victim of the robo ad. If this is really Microsoft, then id say its a new low for them.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-06-17T21:51:23+00:00

    It happens with both Google Chrome and Edge

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-06-10T15:46:20+00:00

    Don: How do you know these robo-ads are from Microsoft?

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-06-09T18:33:11+00:00

    Microsoft: Have you looked into this on-going issue? While I do not usually believe the sinister plot line, I suspect this mal-email will spread exponentially...Any ideas how to stop something that has been going on for over a month? Come on...

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-05-18T18:25:48+00:00

    Followed this thread for a few days since I had the same spam pop up.

    Small update at least on my end: It doesn't show each time now, only saw it 2 times in the past 2 days. However, it still won't show sender, block options, reply/forward and so on; doing any of the (what I assume is automatically generated) suggested way of dealing with it is just impossible. Sending info to MS about it is equally impossible for someone with no IT background (I assume maybe some data can be found by digging very deep in codes and background stuff, but what do I know).

    Even with the "ad" not being there on every single login, I think this is a serious breach of protection. Maybe the sender (or sending program) ran into issues sending it and the way to go beyond the spam/block functions is still available for more malicious practices. This is just waiting to be a major issue when not addressed. The alternative is that this was in fact a new kind of advertisement that was being tested and it went horribly wrong somewhere, but I wouldn't bet on it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments