Outlook: Cannot move the items. The operation cannot be performed because the message has been changed.

Anonymous
2022-05-20T08:11:25+00:00

This message often pops up when I try to move an email to a folder after reading and closing it.  This happens even though I have not changed the message at all other than to read it.  If I select another message and then try to move the original message again, it will work.

I have been getting this problem for years and I am sick of it! everytime I try to tidy my inbox it takes hours because I have to keep moving away and then back to the email.

I know this message pops up in relation to other scenarios but I would like to concentrate on just this one problem as otherwise there are too many off topic answers.

This has been happening for at least 6 YEARS is no-one from Microsoft able to help with this problem?

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-11-06T18:28:39+00:00

    I've also had this problem in recent years and haven't found a way to fix it. The workaround is to select another message in the inbox, pause, then select the message I want to move and then drag-n-drop it to the destination folder. This workaround usually works for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-11-21T00:18:48+00:00

    I have been fighting this issue for years. I have a Gmail account linked to Outlook using IMAP. Two issues were constant, this one and the fact that messages were being duplicated in a folder called Important. I found the solution to the Important folder and it seems to have fixed the message moving issue as well.

    Close Outlook

    Go to https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#settings/labels

    Uncheck "Show in IMAP" for both Important and Starred

    Open Outlook

    The Important folder should be gone.

    Messages should move normally.

    Here is the answer that helped me:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/all/important-folder-in-outlook/0a2acc2c-4e30-48c3-a407-9d664de33d8f

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-11-17T14:41:26+00:00

    I have the same issue. For those of you have said you have it too, I have a question for you. Are you using a Microsoft email address? This only happens with my gmail addresses I have configured in Outlook. Google and MS aren't the best of partners and often can create compatibility issues.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-11-22T14:18:52+00:00

    I've also had this problem in recent years and haven't found a way to fix it. The workaround is to select another message in the inbox, pause, then select the message I want to move and then drag-n-drop it to the destination folder. This workaround usually works for me.

    BRILLIANT !!!! After all the nonsense from the techies at Microsoft, this is the workaround that works!! Thank you J.Hawkey :) Lson5, I do so agree with your frustration about lengthy, unhelpful, irrelevant suggestions.

    Yes, it's only a workaround, the fix is Microsoft's responsibility - if only they will believe their customers that the problem actually exists!

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-05-21T06:41:23+00:00

    Hello , Lson5

    Welcome to Microsoft Community and appreciate your time taken for sharing detailed information. I know it is annoying when you can't move a message to another folder, especially when this issue lasts for so long.

    There are various reasons for such an error to occur. You can try the following methods (please click the link to view the specific steps)

    1. Write an email, save it as a draft, and wait a few minutes before sending the email, or close Outlook and reopen it in a few minutes.

    1. Use Word or NotePad to write email. Copy the email content and paste it to Outlook.
    2. Restore all the emails in deleted items to the inbox.
    3. Uncheck When a reply modifies a message, don’t move the original **** (This option is under File > Options > Mail > Conversational Clean Up) **** and click OK on the bottom **** to save the settings. Or simply uncheck all options under Conversational Clean Up and click OK.
    4. Check Automatically save items that have not been sent after this many minutes (This option is under File > Options > Mail > Save messages), set a time on the right, and click OK.
    5. Check your Outlook version. If it is not the latest version, update to the latest version first.
    6. Run Outlook in Safe Mode.
    7. Repair Outlook.
    8. Disable email scanning in your antivirus software.
    9. Download and run the Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant and follow the prompts to resolve the issue.
    10. Re-install your Outlook.

    Feel free to post back if you have any additional questions.

    Best Regard,

    Yuhao Li| Microsoft Community Support Specialist

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments