NEW Outlook (20230421002.10) no longer opens attachments in desktop apps when double-clicking

Anonymous
2023-04-28T19:44:45+00:00

The new/pre-release version of Outlook opens attachments (e.g. .docx, .xlsx) in Preview mode only. Besides first downloading the attachment and then opening it, is there a way to configure Outlook to open the associated desktop app when double-clicking the attachment, similar to the old Production release?

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-11-13T16:05:24+00:00

    Is there a fix for this? It's extremely frustrating to have to save a zip file vs just opening it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-03-17T20:34:12+00:00

    Carolyn, thank you so much for providing that information. I will just need to figure out how to revert back to Legacy version.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-03-17T06:15:11+00:00

    After having endless problems with Outlook New, Microsoft tech on chat has advised me to to revert back to Legacy version as the new version is not stable.

    I have reverted back and now Outlook for Mac is running smooth and I can open all attachments.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-03-01T16:21:39+00:00

    I'm not using Edge. I'm on a Mac and I'm having the same issue with not being able to open attachments after switching to Legacy Outlook, and switching back to New Outlook.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-01-29T14:27:38+00:00

    Now to have co pilot and for it to "work" you need "new Outlook"

    What a pain

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments