Outlook desktop client emails missing text in body

Anonymous
2021-05-11T19:46:55+00:00

I have Outlook downloaded from my Office 365 subscription and am running Outlook on a Windows 10 PC.

Today, around five hours after I started working, the text in the body of the email stopped showing, either all missing or just showing the first line.

When I look in the reading pane, all I see is "Hi Bee," and then nothing else. I have checked the emails on my iPhone 7 Outlook and Mail apps, and the body of the message is showing correctly.

I have disabled all COM Add-ins and I have run the full repair on the application, closed down the PC and restarted after a one minute break but still, it doesn't show correctly.

Any help gratefully received!

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

51 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-05-11T22:15:50+00:00

    VictorMSComm, thanks for that. Seems that article refers to delaying all Windows Updates, which I'm loathe to do; I just wanted to delay Office updates. However, there was another tip there that looks good for this: it suggests moving to the semi-annual channel instead of monthly channel just for Office Click-to-Run:

    cd C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ClickToRun
    OfficeC2RClient.exe /changesetting Channel=Deferred
    OfficeC2RClient.exe /update user

    Will try that. (Although with the ajor Win10 feature update coming soon, which is scary, I might just delay all updates til the dust settles :).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-05-11T21:49:52+00:00

    I turned off automatic updates in Outlook/Office, to prevent the bad update from reinstalling. If this is a Windows Update issue, I'd hope MS turned it off, but who knows. I'll keep checking forums and when MS puts a fix up I'll turn on updates again.

    Good luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-05-11T21:22:43+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-05-11T21:18:12+00:00

    Ran this on my win 10 PC (office 2016 desktop) and now Outlook is back to normal. Still want to hear from Microsoft to see what caused it as I did not get a windows update today.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-05-11T21:12:06+00:00

    Hi John,

    Make sure you use the quotations and that you run the command prompt as administrator.

    Hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments