Using Classic Outlook on Windows for personal email, calendar, and contact management
Hello Galambos,
Please feel free to post back after you try the test account.
Regards,
Rick
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Hello
Since a couple of weeks I get the problem that IMAP services are not working correctly.
Problem:
I have a GMail client on an Android phone, and a Thunderbird client. Both using IMAP to reach my emails.
From time to time the IMAP service responds with the error "User is authenticated but not connected" and denies the synchronization of the emails, for around 15-30 minutes. In this time I can not access nor answer my emails from the clients.
I have tried from mobilenet and from fix wifi, but I get the same results. So it is independent from the connection.
I have found some hints that this is due to the "chatty client policy" of the cloud.
However this is not an excuse. I need my two clients for work, and I have a business package.
How can I overcome this problem?
Thank you in advance.
r
Using Classic Outlook on Windows for personal email, calendar, and contact management
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Hello Galambos,
Please feel free to post back after you try the test account.
Regards,
Rick
Hello Rick,
I can only provide some forum information what I have found:
https://github.com/mscdex/node-imap/issues/689
"...It is a Microsoft's mechanism to shut down chatty clients. The solution would be to login to this account less frequently..."
It could be that the server thinks that this is a chatty client, because I have more clients operation mostly from the same public IP address. (either mobile net, or through wifi)
I will try the test account soon. But I have to configure it to both clients to produce the same environment.
Regards,
r
Hello Galambos,
Thanks for your prompt reply. In order to narrow down the issue, I will send you a test account via private message, which works fine on my side. Please add this test account to the affected desktop client via IMAP and see if there is any difference. Note: The test account will be deleted after the test. Please do not leave any personal information in the test account.
Besides, I noticed that you mentioned it is due to the “chatty client policy”. Would you mind please provide an article for reference?
Regards,
Rick
Hello Rick,
The affected account is an Office 365 for Business account.
Unfortunately I have a Linux based system which is required for my work, so I can not try Outlook desktop.
What do you mean by mail provider? I am using the official Office 365 cloud as mail provider:
As you can see. That is my main problem, that I can not contact the server and its administrator to solve my problem.
Who do I contact?
Regards,
r
Hello Galambos,
Sorry for the late reply because I was off duty before. May I know what the type of the affected account(Office 365 for Business account or other account)? I understand the problem happens both in Gmail for Android and Thunderbird desktop client. Given the situation, you can try to add the account to Outlook desktop client to see if there is any difference.
From the description, the problem may be related to the mail provider. It is suggested to contact your mail server for further help.
Regards,
Rick