IMAP is not working correctly on Outlook Office365. Error: "User is authenticated but not connected"

Anonymous
2019-04-01T17:16:04+00:00

Hello

Since a couple of weeks I get the problem that IMAP services are not working correctly.

Problem:

I have a GMail client on an Android phone, and a Thunderbird client. Both using IMAP to reach my emails.

From time to time the IMAP service responds with the error "User is authenticated but not connected" and denies the synchronization of the emails, for around 15-30 minutes. In this time I can not access nor answer my emails from the clients.

I have tried from mobilenet and from fix wifi, but I get the same results. So it is independent from the connection.

I have found some hints that this is due to the "chatty client policy" of the cloud.

However this is not an excuse. I need my two clients for work, and I have a business package.

How can I overcome this problem?

Thank you in advance.

r

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2019-05-21T08:58:10+00:00

    I've been asked to open a ticket via office 365 center. I honestly am not sure why this suggestion is so private as to not post it publicly here. In any way, this is going in circles as I expect get the same amount of attention to this issue as you did and I a assume your ticket is still there lying dormant. 

    If this is the backend issue, then why not just be transparent, have some place for all the people that have this issue (and there are many, enough to google to see) to track the progress or even help with testing.

    Best,

    A

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-05-17T16:45:09+00:00

    Hi Artur,

    No I do not think so. It is on the Admin Center.

    However I am frustrated as well, because I did not got any answer yet.

    I tell you my educated best guess, which might not be true:

    There is a policy in place to prevent repetitive or "stress" usage of the IMAP interface. It is there to protect the cloud from the users. (see problems with Office365 cloud earlier in the news...)

    This might effect some users, might effect all users, might depend on your users behavior. (e.g. coming on black list because you logged in too many times, and had "bad" behavior earlier, and you will be handled in a more stricter manner.)

    If you do something "wrong" you get "banned" from IMAP for a while...that is the reason why I can not login for a certain time.

    What I have tried is, that I have reduced the number of threads used by the client to 1. In Thunderbird it is in the server settings under advanced and it is called "Maximum number of server connections to cache" you will find it in your client for sure. This seemed to help a little, but I work mostly from "any" place, which means I use mobile net a lot, which reconnect to the GMS network often (because I move, because whatever reasons), so I get every time a new IP address, so the client logs in again, so the cloud sees I am logging in from many places, which they might interpret as "bad" behavior, and "ban" me...

    On strong internet connections like a good business line it is less frequent that I get banned. Earlier it was never happening, but currently it happens from time to time. Which suggest to me that there is a difference between user and user.

    In my team none has this problem, but I have a huge amount of mails, so the IMAP synchronization has something to do, it is not just a "nothing new? OK..." check. On my test accounts which I have let created for me, I experience this problem as well, but only if do generate a a lot of emails into different IMAP folders and give the synchronization something to do...

    I suggest to try the number of connections first...maybe that is enough in your case.

    Please give a feedback what was your result...I am curious.

    And In the meantime if I get some answers on the Admin Center I will provide you that as well.

    Regards,

    Robert

    PS: Of course none of my other email providers which I use over IMAP,  -- and where I also have quite a big amount of emails -- has ever produced this problem...so it is exclusively Office365 specific.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-04-04T06:17:28+00:00

    Hello Sylvie,

    I use Thunderbird as a desktop client. The problem is present there as well.

    The error message is: "User is authenticated but not connected".

    I have currently no screenshot, but will take one the next time, but the screenshot will show the same error text.

    r

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-04-01T18:54:50+00:00

    Hello Galambos Róbert,

    May I confirm if you add your Office 365 account as IMAP type into Gmail and Thunderbird for Android client? If so, I would suggest you try remove your account from those clients and then re-add it back to check the results.

    Note: Please back up your data before you remove it.

    Meanwhile, to rule out mobile client problems, if it is convenience, please add your account into desktop client or Outlook client see if it can help.

    If the problem persists, would you mind provide us a screenshot of the error message to help us understand your symptom more clearly?

    Best Regards,

    Sylvie

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more