how to remove unwanted categories in outlook 2016

Anonymous
2018-09-08T13:49:35+00:00

I have a long list with automatically created categories in outlook calendar (“weather 20141”, “weather 21000”, ….) which I want to remove from that list but I can’t?  

When I open the list with categories (which I can only do if I first select an appointment), select the categories that I want to remove and click on delete, he asks me whether I am sure and if I confirm they are NOT removed? 

I have been searching on the internet for a solution and somebody mentions the “tag” group under the “home” tab but I do not have that group either?  

Who knows how to get rid of these categories (that have never been assigned to any of my appointments) that blur the overview of my list with personal categories ?

(I am using windows 10 and outlook 2016)

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-11-02T11:15:15+00:00

Unfortunately, it has started again, see screenshot below. I can delete them now without problems as I have not added all add-ins that were linked to my outlook calendar before. So the problem that I could not remove them clearly had to do with some of the add-ins but I do not have time to add them one by one to find out which one it was.

I believe I have also found where the problem came from and I am trying the solution given on https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/calendar/mlu8O7Vtxt0.

It seems to be a known problem in google...

Hope this helps to get rid of the extra categories permanently...

Martina

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-09-23T03:25:40+00:00

    Hi MarVdb,

    Thanks for your clarification. From your screenshot, I understand after you deleted the category "Weather: 00143 Roma", it still show on your emails and display as blank, right?

    I have tested on my side, and seems can reproduce your issue, following are test steps:

    1. Create a custom category named test1 in Outlook client and assigned test 1 to some emails:

    1. Delete the category test1 and then it shows as your scenario:

    If you have the same scenario as I mentioned above, you can try to delete the category as following:

    Select the email that assigned "Weather: 00143 Roma" and go to Categorize > All categories > uncheck the checkbox in front of "Weather: 00143 Roma" > OK. 

    This will just be applied on the email you selected.

    Thanks,

    Iry

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-09-21T07:26:42+00:00

    Thanks for your response but it does not matter whether I do it in my calendar or in my mailbox, the result is the same. I only get the tag and category menu if my cursor is on one of the mails and that mail gets the categories that I try to delete (although I get the message that the categories will be deleted and that this will not effect previous items with these categories, the only things that happen is that the mail message - or calendar item - gets the categories that I try to delete - see the screenshots that I included of the mail and of my categories after deleting the categories …)

    (removed some information in the screenshots by moderator to protect your privacy)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-09-20T17:13:37+00:00

    Hi MarVdb,

    Thanks for your update, I have received the screenshots you uploaded. Based on your screenshots, please check as following:

    1. The screenshot you uploaded to us is in a Calendar view, to get the Categorize under Tags, you should go to Mail view as following to check if you can see the option:

    1. As you mentioned, those categories are synced from google calendars, so please try to delete those categories from google calendars if you still cannot delete categories from Outlook. 
    2. From the second capture and the third capture you provided, it seems that categories (colors) in Outlook client don't sync with Outlook Web App. I am not sure if it's related to the OggSync you used. You can try to create a new category in Outlook client and check if it syncs to Outlook Web App. However, regarding this, it's better to confirm with OggSync side, so please also keep contacting OggSync for further checking.

    Thanks,

    Iry

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-09-20T07:01:22+00:00

    I have already uploaded 3 screenshots on Monday on the other website you referred too?

    I'll try here once more...

    (removed some information in the screenshots by moderator to protect your privacy)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments