Unwanted Contact Groups

Anonymous
2016-08-29T23:40:34+00:00

I have my Outlook.com account on my iPhone. There has always been a few contact groups that I don't use, however lately it has expanded to 6 extra unwanted groups. Is there any way to get rid of these? Some of them don't even show up on Outlook.com and just on my iPhone. I don't have my account linked up with Skype or Facebook.

blocklist

Facebook Contacts

MeContact

People you may know on Skype

PersonMetadata

Skype Contacts

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Contacts

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-09-09T18:47:29+00:00

    I see a lot of "No Name" entries on my iOS 9.3.5 device as well. It's a known, long-standing problem, apparently. Multiple 'No Name' contacts showing up in Address Book. Note the year of this article is 2011. There are many recent articles about it as well, like iPhone users report mysterious 'no name' contacts glitch day before iPhone 7 launch.

    That first link refers to MobileMe though. We're talking about Outlook. I only have the No Name contacts on my iPhone and no other device, not even on Outlook.com, and it's only in the Group called "PersonMetaData".

    So it appears there are 2 separate issues here:

    1. Outlook creates contact groups by itself which can't be removed (Skype, Facebook etc)
    2. Outlook is creating 2 extra contact groups (MeContact, PersonMetaData) and filling up PersonMetaData with No Name contacts on iOS devices.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Brian Tillman [Outlook MVP 2007-2019] 25,925 Reputation points
    2016-09-09T15:03:05+00:00

    I see a lot of "No Name" entries on my iOS 9.3.5 device as well. It's a known, long-standing problem, apparently. Multiple 'No Name' contacts showing up in Address Book. Note the year of this article is 2011. There are many recent articles about it as well, like iPhone users report mysterious 'no name' contacts glitch day before iPhone 7 launch.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-09-09T06:03:06+00:00

    And also these extra groups like the person meta data

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-09-09T06:01:26+00:00

    I have the exact same problem. I don't know if it was the iPhone update recently or what.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Brian Tillman [Outlook MVP 2007-2019] 25,925 Reputation points
    2016-09-08T20:40:31+00:00

    "MeContact" reminds me of the me.com service that preceded iCloud and I'm inclined to think it's something your phone is doing, particularly since that's where you see it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments