Configuring preferences and options in Outlook.com
Click on the Gear symbol on the top right,
There should be three options listed.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Hi can you advise me if the inbox column width be changed to make the 'from' column wider? this is on outlook.com web mail (hotmail)
thanks, phil.
Configuring preferences and options in Outlook.com
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Click on the Gear symbol on the top right,
There should be three options listed.
Hi PhilPrice999 and everyone,
Thank you for your advice, it was very helpful! However, I think I finally figured out what the problem was, and the solution is really quite simple.
It seems that when I switched over to Outlook from Hotmail, the screen automatically zoomedin.** (No, I didn't do it myself by accident -- the switch from Hotmail to Outlook did it).
In order to view more of the Subject Line, I had to zoom the view out on my computer. To do this, I simply held CTRL + moved the scroll wheel on my mouse to adjust the zoom.
As the columns in Outlook cannot be adjusted manually, a zoomed out view provided more space for the Subject Line. Just note: this does sacrifice the size of Outlook's typeface, it will get smaller.
I'm assuming that the shape of my monitor was an important factor in this problem: I have an old ViewSonic, 1280 x 768 -- more square shaped compared to the newer 1280x1024 monitors.
It would be nice if Outlook's columns could be adjusted manually, seeing as a large portion of space is still wasted in the "From" column (or, at least it is on my monitor). However, I'm just glad that I some sort of correction to the problem could be found.
Thank you everyone for your input! And I hope this solution helps!
Hi there - thankyou for trying to help me with this. I have opened up outlook.com using FireFox, Chrome and IE9 and have cleared the browser history and cache/cookies etc. But I still cannot adjust the width of the inbox 'from' column - as it only shows part of the 'from' address and not all of it!!!
Do you think this could be added as a feature enhancement?
I did send a suggestion request via the options for feedback..
How do I upload a screen-shot file to this forum thread? I can't see any obvious buttons..... I could then attach a screen-shot to illustrate this.
Thanks again. Phil.
Hi,
Does the issue using other browsers? How about on another PC?
Resizing colums is unavailable. However, it should display properly. Please optimize your browser to make sure that its setting doesn’t contribute to your issue. If you’re using Internet Explorer browser, please check this article for instructions:
**Optimize Internet Explorer for Hotmail**
****After optimizing, please close your entire browser and try again.
For assistance in clearing Safari's cache and cookies, please click here.
For assistance in clearing Google Chrome's cache and cookies, please click here.
For assistance in clearing Firefox’s cache and cookies, please click here.
In addition, please upload a screenshot of the issue on the private message that I have provided.
For instructions on how to get a screenshot, please refer here:
For Vista/Windows 7:
For XP:
For Mac Computers: Please refer to your computer’s help directory.
Thanks.
I am brandnew at Outlook, very frustrated with narrow, incomplete view of messages.
Bumbled around looking for full-screen showing text when accidentally hit
"reply" and voila! Full screen and whole message. Read the message, deleted
same and it works every time for me. Hopefully for you too.