How to remove the gray bar on right side of browser after upgrading to Outlook/Hotmail Plus?

Anonymous
2013-03-26T20:14:23+00:00

The title asks it all I should hope.

I've searched around, but everyone asking about how to remove it are only complaining about not wanting to see ads without paying.  I have paid, and just wonder if the area that once showed the ads can be removed.

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-03-29T06:36:07+00:00

Hi JeremiahLee85,

Thank you for posting in the Microsoft Community forum. Yes, you may remove the gray bar on the right side of your Outlook.com page. To do this, please follow the steps below:

  1. Open your Inbox.
  2. Click on the gear icon or the cog wheel located at the upper right part of the page beside your Profile name.
  3. Choose More mail settings.
  4. Under Reading email, click Content from third-party networks.
  5. Under Showing public content, choose Don't show public content from third-party networks.
  6. Click Save.

Should you need further assistance, please feel free to post back.

Thank you.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-07-07T02:40:33+00:00

    Ah, so it is the advertisement bar. Was that so hard to admit?

    I'm not paying for my emailaccount and never will as long as there are free alternatives around. I guess I'll keep to using my adblocker (as most of the internet does anyway) and live with the sidebar for now.

    No that wasn't so hard to admit. You should read the previous posts more clearly. They were asking Microsoft to MOVE THE AD PANE TO THE BOTTOM.

    It's fine that there's an ad pane, that's fine. We don't pay for hotmail premium or whatever it's called. But having an ad pane on the side is a clear flaw in the design since it cuts off the emails we're viewing. Especially since I use the split screen view that Microsoft put into Windows themselves.

    Do you see how much of my email I can see? That's just stupid. That is just so incredibly stupid.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-06-26T15:24:27+00:00

    Ah, so it is the advertisement bar. Was that so hard to admit?

    I'm not paying for my emailaccount and never will as long as there are free alternatives around. I guess I'll keep to using my adblocker (as most of the internet does anyway) and live with the sidebar for now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-06-26T14:37:21+00:00

    Hello everyone,

    We can't stress enough how highly we value your insight regarding the looks of our product. If you're using a regular Microsoft account, its by default that you will see an advertisement when viewing emails unless you upgrade your account to a paid service like Ad-free Outlook.com account.

    However, if you are still seeing ads after upgrading your account, we need the following information below in the private message area so we can verify if your account is indeed subscribed to a paid service so we can made some necessary adjustment on our end.

    • Affected account in question.
    • Does the issue happen when using a different browser or use In-Private browsing?
    • Screen shot of the issue.

    Note: You need to click the notification that states You have a private reply to this message. Click here to read it on our secure private message section or by clicking the Private Messages tab.

    Thank you for your cooperation and patience.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-06-26T02:19:20+00:00

    Excuse me for butting in, but I wanted to provide some information that may help others.

    Firstly, the "three dots" used to access the Print function have a name. It is "ellipsis" and has been used in computing for many years to mean "there's more here". Clicking on the ellipsis in outlook.com shows you more features, including, but not limited to, the print feature. Microsoft could, of course, put a print command on the command bar, but seeing as most people don't print emails these days, I guess they decided to put the most commonly used features on the command bar.

    Secondly, the "flower" icon is a "gear" or "cog" icon. It to has been used for quite some time and on many products to represent the "settings" command.

    I hope these comments help people better understand how to use outlook.com.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments