I cannot open attachments in Outlook on my Android browser. Is this a known issue and is it being addressed?

Anonymous
2013-03-08T13:31:18+00:00

Today, my Hotmail account was upgraded to Outlook.  I lost the ability to open attachments accessing outlook on my Android browser on my Motorola Razr smartphone.  When I try opening attachments such as pics and docs I get an error message.  Is this issue being addressed to be fixed?

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Account management, security, and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-11-13T04:08:31+00:00

    Hi,

    I am also facing the issue of not being able download any type of attachments using outlook.com app on my phone.

    This wasnt the case when I was using the previous version of outlook app on my android phone.

    Is this a known issue, if yes, is a fix available for this?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-11-13T01:00:58+00:00

    Hi,

    Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community Forum. Let me try to assist you with your concern with being unable to download attachments using your device.

    I understand that you are using the Outlook app on your device and your not able to download attachment using it. Please provide us the exact steps that you are doing when you are trying to download the attachment.

    Please also answer the following questions below:

    • What is the exact error message that you are getting?
    • Have you tried reinstalling the app? If not please do and check if the same issue will still persist.
    • Have you tried using another account on your device to check if the issue will still happen?

    We look forward to your response.

    Thank you.

    It's telling me the document is empty

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-11-12T20:01:04+00:00

    I have the same problem on Samsung S4, just recently when Outlook made a change to provide the option to put attachments in OneDrive. It used to work before that. My workaround now is: a) forward my email with attachment(s) to my Gmail; or b) Go to Internet Explorer and access Hotmail from there (Note that this workaround does not work with Chrome browser).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-11-11T22:05:51+00:00

    I am also having this same exact problem with my Sprint Galaxy S6.  I have tried several "solutions" to no avail.  This inability to download attachments is affecting my business.  I have had the same email address for decades.  ALL of my vendors know me by that email.  Now, it seems to only "solution" to this aggravating/ time consuming/ money wasting problem is to use GMail instead?  C'mon, Microsoft, is that really what you want your customers to do... turn to Google to resolve your unresolved (for years, apparently) tech issue?  Seems like the multi-billion dollar company of Microsoft would be a bit smarter than that.  Give us a friggin' solution to this "unable to open email attachments" dilemna, Microsoft!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-11-10T02:02:17+00:00

    Hi Blisdov99,

    Thank you for taking time posting in this forum. I am very happy to be of help to you regarding your issue of having an inability to open attachments after been upgraded to Outlook.com.

    I know how tough it is to be having difficulties of opening attachments using a phone device. We are absolutely aware of this issue and we assure you that this matter is being addressed. Often times, this issue happens when a user of Hotmail account got upgraded to Outlook.com. We would like to verify if you're using the Android default web browser to access your email account? If yes, please try to use Outlook.com application for Android phones and see if the same issue persists.

    To download  Outlook.com app for Android phones, just click the link below:

    Go mobile with Outlook.com

    If same issue persists, we would like to ask just a few questions, this is just to isolate the source of the issue.

    • Are you able to open attachments using your PC?
    • What is the exact error message prompting on your phone device?
    • Have you tried another browser to open attachments on your phone?

    Please let us know if the instructions above didn't solve your issue, we are very eager to assist you in resolving this issue.

    Thank you.

    Your suggestion to download the Outlook app did not help.  I have many more ways of fixing the ptoblem; nothing has worked so far. I did do a reset which also didn't help. I noticed the problem happened about the same time Outlook changed its email display format. At the same time I did lose a bunch of contacts. Please help. I don't want to have to change to a Gmail account, but if I/someone can't figure this out I will change to Gmail.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments