Can't save Outlook messages to file. 'Save as' is greyed out.

Anonymous
2012-02-04T10:41:40+00:00

I am using Office for mac 2011 under OS X version 10.7.2.

I cannot 'save' or' save as' Outlook email messages or attachments. PowerPoint, Excel and Word documents save normally. In Outlook "Save as" is permanently greyed out and cannot be selected. Save is not greyed out but does not react to instructions.

Any idea what the problem is and how to fix it.

I bought the software in November on line and this problem has existed for about a month.

Outlook | MacOS | Legacy Outlook for Mac | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-02-05T02:18:01+00:00

Unfortunately, this is not an option in Outlook 2011.

If this is a feature you’d like to see in future versions of Office for Mac, be sure to send your feedback by clicking “Help” > “Send Feedback…” in any Office application or by clicking on the link below:

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/product-feedback

As a workaround, if you want to save the emails, you may simply drag the email from the Outlook window to the desktop or any other location. That will save the complete email itself.

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-03-01T08:31:42+00:00

I have the same problem and concern! I find this issue unbeleivable. I moved from windows to mac to find this office issue unacceptale!

This has to be corrected at once.

How can we manage the emails we receive in order to have them properly filed?

I can not beleive tha Microsoft could be so irresponsile in such basic issue

Was this answer helpful?

7 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-07-04T22:22:55+00:00

    I do also have this FILE/SAVE AS function disabled in Outlook for Mac 2011. in addition, I also found OUT OF OFFICE function has been disable. I expect the functions in Mac version is to be similar to PC version version if not better

    The Save As... feature in Outlook for Mac doesn't behave the way you want it to work. Fine.

    Is this something where someone should be fired and lose his livelihood? No.

    Is this something that warrants a conspiracy theory? No.

    Is this something that can be accomplished in a different way? Yes. Drag the message to your desktop or copy/paste the text to a different application and save.

    The #1 rule of the Internet is Remember the Human. Let's please remember that you're still talking about real human beings when you make remarks about firing someone over something that is trivial and has a simple workaround.

    One other workaround, though perhaps not 100% satisfactory, is to save the email message as a PDF. I know it requires more clicks to process and results in unnecessary consumption of storage space etc., but it is an option. Personally, I'm not thrilled to have to do this repeatedly in the course of a day, but until you can save as a text file in '11, it does present another option.

    In my response immediately above - "One other workaround...," I forgot to say thanks to Talking Moose for including "Remember the Human" in his preceding post. As he noted, yes "Let's please remember that you're still talking about real human beings..."

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-10-27T18:29:13+00:00

    Most likely not a quickly as we would like.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-10-27T12:48:01+00:00

    You live and learn! Had no idea that Save as in Mountain Lion worked in such a peculiar way, but thanks for the warning. And yes, I have sent feedback to Microsoft about the Save as issue in Outlook. Will it help, I wonder?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments